To see a full list of Building Permit Fees for the Town of Newmarket, please view the Town of Newmarket's Building Permit Fees page.
How are Building Permit fees calculated?
The following explanatory notes are to be observed in the calculation of permit fees:
- Floor area of the proposed work is to be measured to the outer face of exterior walls and to the center line of party walls or demising walls (excluding residential garages).
- In the case of interior alterations or renovations, area of proposed work is the actual space receiving the work e.g. tenants space.
- Mechanical penthouses and floors, mezzanines, lofts, habitable attics, and interior balconies are to be included in all floor area calculations.
- Except for interconnected floor spaces, no deductions are made for openings within the floor area (e.g. stairs, elevators, escalators, shafts, ducts, etc.)
- Unfinished basements for single detached dwellings (including semis, duplexes, and townhouses, etc.) are not included in the floor area.
- Attached garages and fireplaces are included in the permit fee for single detached dwellings and attached dwellings.
- Where interior alterations and renovations require relocation of sprinkler heads or fire alarm components, no additional charge is applicable.
- Ceilings are included in both new shell and finished (partitioned) buildings. The Service Index for ceiling applies only when alterations occur in existing buildings.
- Minor alterations to existing ceilings to accommodate lighting or HVAC improvements are not chargeable.
- Where demolition of partitions or alteration to existing ceilings is a part of an alteration or renovations permit, no additional charge is applicable.
- Corridors, lobbies, washrooms, lounges, etc. are to be included and classified according to the major classification for the floor area on which they are located.
- The occupancy categories in the Schedule correspond with the major occupancy classifications in the Ontario Building Code. For mixed occupancy floor areas, the Service Index for each of the applicable occupancy categories may be used, except where an occupancy category is less than 10% of the floor area.
- For shelf and rack storage use, apply the square footage charge for industrial for the building.