The Town of Newmarket maintains the official list of heritage properties identified as being important to the community. Under the Ontario Heritage Act, permits are required for certain works on properties that are designated on the heritage registry list.
When is a heritage permit required?
A permit is required for:
- Alterations to or demolition of a designated property;
- Alterations to or demolition of a property within the Heritage Conservation District.
A heritage permit is not required for:
- General repairs to weather-stripping, eaves troughs, roofs, chimneys, fences, existing cladding;
- Repair of broken window panes to original specifications;
- Backyard patios, garden sheds, gazebos and other small outbuildings that are not readily visible from the street (and which do not require a Building Permit);
- Planting and removal of vegetation on private property.