Dog Park Rules
1. All persons using the Dog Park do so at their own risk.
2. All dog owners are subject to the Dog Owners Liability Act and the Town of Newmarket's By-Laws.
3. Handlers are responsible for their dogs at all times.
4. Handlers MUST "stoop and scoop" and dispose of excrement in the containers provided.
5. Handlers must be inside fenced area with their dog(s) at all times.
6. Limit of 3 dogs per handler.
7. Dogs must be accompanied by a person of at least 16 years of age or older.
8. Children under the age of 12 must be supervised by an adult at all times.
9. The following dogs are NOT permitted within the off-leash area of the dog park.
a. Unlicensed dogs
b. Dogs required to be muzzled pursuant to the Dog Owners Liability Act (e.g. pit bulls)
c. Dogs six months and younger
10. Dogs must be leashed when entering and exiting the off leash area.
11. Please leave your dog treats outside of the park.
12. Aggressive dogs are to be kept out of the off leash park. If a dog begins acting aggressively towards others (both people and other dogs), it must be leashed immediately and removed from the site.
13. Please note that the Dog Park will be closed periodically throughout the year for maintenance. We will do our best to post closure times ahead of time, however there may be times that the park may be closed without notice.
Dog handlers should exhibit courteous behaviour, or good "petiquette". There are simple things that you can do to keep the park enjoyable for pets and persons alike:
- Pay attention to your dog at all times.
- Do not open the outside gate if the inside gate is open.
- Do not leave a leash on your dog while in the park. A leashed dog may feel threatened by other dogs.
- Don't overreact to normal rough and tumble dog play. Being overprotective just makes your dog nervous.
- Please respect the dog areas, large dogs are in the north area and smaller dogs should be in the south area.
- If your dog is exhibiting pestering or bullying behaviour, give him or her a "time-out" or remove your dog from the park.
- Please keep in mind that outside of the park gates, all leash by-laws apply.
- Please enjoy the park!