A Splash of Culture returns for its second year of incredible artists – on a unique "stage" – the Tim Hortons Skating and Water Feature, at Riverwalk Commons.
Music on water – and a night you to remember. Bring your chair and invite your family and friends to join you for an evening of entertainment under the stars listening to beautiful music in a stunning setting. Free admission. Rain date, Saturday September 9. www.newmarket.ca/events
Three Outstanding Performers:
Sarah Hagen (Classical Piano)
We welcome back by popular demand, pianist Sarah Hagen, who will also act as the evening's engaging MC.
Sarah has performed in concert halls, and been heard on broadcasts throughout North America and Europe. And led the inaugural Splash of Culture event in 2016 in Newmarket!
"…the level of passion that Hagen possesses – when it comes to experiencing, interpreting and expressing art – is something quite extraordinary." The Charlottetown Guardian (March 2014)
Quisha Wint, (Blues, Gospel Vocalist)
Quisha is one of Toronto's most sought-after session vocalists graced with a powerful presence. She has performed extensively throughout North America, Europe and the Caribbean.
Accompanying Quisha on piano will be Juno award-winning producer (Leahy) and 2014 Maple Blues Award 'Keyboardist of the Year', Lance Anderson. Trained as a classical composer, he has both film and TV credits as a writer. Lance has worked with Roger Whittaker, Shakura S'Aida, Danny Brooks, Jackie Richardson, John Finley, amongst many others.
Michael Massaro, (Saxophone)
Michael's proficiency as a live performer has made him one of Canada's most in demand musicians. He is no stranger to Newmarket's Riverwalk Commons, having played the Newmarket Jazz+ Festival in previous years.
He has recorded with David Foster, Moe Koffman, Andre Gagnon and Frank Mills, among others, and has several of his own CD's.
Accompanying Michael on keyboards will be Juno-award winning Marco Luciani, who is Toronto based but has worked extensively in Los Angeles with numerous top notch producers and award winning artists in the music industry. Marco has written and/or played on blockbuster movie soundtracks as well as TV shows.
Newmarket Celebrates Culture Days!
Join with thousands of Canadians across the country participating in FREE and interactive cultural activities.
Elman W. Campbell Museum (134 Main St. S.)
Saturday, September 30, 10 a.m. to Noon and 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.
Come on in!
- Try a Museum history hunt and get ready to go on a self-guided tour of historic Main Street.
- Explore the Museum's new display; Canada 150: Do You Remember?
- View the heritage art exhibition: An Artist's Eye: Newmarket's Past through the Brush and Pencil of George Luesby.
Throughout Historic Downtown Newmarket
Saturday, September 30, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sunday, October 1, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Join with neighbours and friends and …
- Get out and walk The Newmarket Group of Artists' Art Walk & Studio Tour
- Engage and chat with friendly and interesting artists' located in studios around the Downtown, as well as in the Community Centre, Old Town Hall and Main Street businesses.
Old Town Hall (460 Botsford St.)
Saturday, September 30, 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.
There's lots do here!
- Family Fun with Minions – The Minions are keeping a SECRET and your mission is to help them save Old Town Hall from certain destruction. Come on out and help us!
- Newmarket Group of Artists Exhibition – Old Town Hall is full of fantastic, original art; come on out and explore this feast for the eyes. Meet some of our amazing artists as well.
- Canada 150 Mosaic Project – Newmarket is joining communities across Canada creating sections of a mosaic tile wall mural that will connect Canada coast to coast to coast, through art. Every participating city or town is creating a section of the mural made up of 400-750 individually painted tiles that symbolize their community. What better time to create OUR mosaic mural than during CULTURE DAYS! We provide the tiles and the paint – you provide the creativity!
As the Town of Newmarket moves forward with their public art program; the Recreation and Culture department is looking for artists whom would be interested in participating occasionally on an art selection jury. Interested artists are invited to submit an expression of interest through an application process.