Camp Hours: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., unless otherwise specified. Camp Central Line: 905-953-5300, press 2, ext. 2825. Registration Forms can be found online at play.newmarket.ca. Registration will end at 11:59 p.m. on the Thursday prior to the start date.
You will be required to sign your child in and will be provided with the following:
Weekly Forecasts – an outline of the weekly events.
EpiPen and Medication Forms (if applicable).
Weekly Release Forms for trips and swimming.
Chance to meet your Camp Director and ask any questions.
To serve you more efficiently, we send all camp paperwork through email as well as have it on site for you. Please ensure your email is up-to-date in our system to receive this information ahead of time. To verify information is correct in our system please contact our Customer Services Department at 905-895-5193 or check your Quik-E-Link account online.
Our dynamic group of Camp Staff receive a variety of training and must be HIGHFIVE® and First Aid/CPR "C" certified, and produce a positive Vulnerable Sector Screening. We are proud of our camp staff in their efforts to provide an amazing camp experience for all participants and guardians.
We require all parents/guardians to sign their child in and out of camp daily. Parents/guardians should be prepared to shpw photo ID daily. If you choose to give your child permission to arrive and leave camp on their own, we request that the parent/guardian provide the Director of the camp written permission explaining that the participant is allowed to sign him/herself in and out of camp. The Town of Newmarket would prefer that children 9 and under be signed in and out.
If your child has an appointment during camp hours we request that you speak to the Director of the camp and make them aware of the date and time. Many camps go swimming or on trips and therefore may not be on the camp site at various times throughout the week.
If you require someone other than the regular parent/guardian to pick up your child, you MUST give written permission to the Camp Director or contact Camp Central. The written permission must have the child's name and the full name of the person who will be signing your child out. We will require the pick-up person to provide photo ID.
If your child will be absent from a day of camp please call the Camp Central Line at 905-953-5300, press 2 & ext. 2825. Should you get voice mail, please leave your name and phone number, your child's FULL name, and the camp they are attending. We will be sure to get the information to the proper camp.
A $2 late fee will apply every 5 minutes per child to those participants who have not been signed out once camp has ended. All camps end at 4 p.m. Extended Care ends at 6 p.m. Late Fee payments are accepted at the Magna Centre, the Ray Twinney Recreation Complex, the Recreation Youth
Centre & Sk8 Park or the Municipal Offices.
All Parents/Guardians are responsible for:
• Discussing camp appropriate behaviours with their children. The Town of Newmarket follows the same code of conduct as the school systems.
• Ensuring your child is appropriately dressed. All participants must wear weather appropriate clothing and closed toe shoes for activities.
• Ensuring that your child brings sunscreen, a hat and bug repellent daily.
• Ensuring that your child brings nutritious nut free snacks, lunch and lots of water. A refillable water container is recommended.
• Labelling your child's belongings with their full name.
• Ensuring your child does not bring valuable items to camp. The Town of Newmarket and its vendors are not responsible for lost or stolen items. Electronic games, iPods, cell phones, money, etc. are not permitted to be used during camp time and therefore are not to be brought to camp.
• Guaranteeing your child is toilet trained. All campers must be toilet trained and independent in the washroom. If accidents occur a phone call to the emergency contact will be made and the guardian is expected to come in to assist in changing. If your child has specific needs, you may speak with the Inclusion Coordinator 905-953-5300 ext.2825 if you have a concern.
The Town of Newmarket strives to provide the highest level of safety and enjoyment to all participants and staff, during its camps and programs. The following rules have been developed to ensure that all parents, participants, & staff are aware of what is unacceptable at camp. Coarse language, bullying, non-compliance, and aggressive or inappropriate behaviour are NOT permitted at camp.
These behaviours will be documented, reported, and could result in the removal of a participant from camp. If your child has behavioural concerns please speak to our Camp Programmer 905-953-5300 ext. 2822 or Inclusion Coordinator ext. 2825 and notify them of triggers and methods which are helpful for your child. It is our goal to make camp enjoyable for everyone!
If a participant is required to take medication while at camp the parent/guardian must complete a medication form. The completed form and the medication must be given to the Camp Director. Forms can be obtained either online or from the camp itself. EpiPens should be with the child at all times while at camp.
Photos and videos are not permitted during camp programs, other than specific cases where it has been identified (i.e Theatre & Glee Camp Shows, The Director's Cut Film Festival, etc.). Photos and videos may be taken by the Town for promotional purposes. In this case, all parents/guardians will be notified and required to give permission.
The Town of Newmarket's Recreation and Culture Department has adopted a "Nut Aware" policy for all our camps and programs. Therefore participants are asked not to bring food products that may contain nuts or traces of nuts (peanuts included) to a Town program or camp. Should items that contain nuts be found, the product will be removed from the camp area and returned to the parent/guardian at the end of the day.
Parents/Guardians should be aware the Family and Child Services Act requires any suspicion or allegation of child abuse will be reported immediately to the Children's Aid Society. The Act recognizes that each of us have a responsibility to the welfare of children. It clearly states any member of the public, including professionals who work with children, have the obligation to promptly report to a Children's Aid Society if they suspect a child is or may be in need of protection.
The Town of Newmarket strives to adhere to the following staff to participant ratios to ensure safe and successful delivery of programs.
- 5 years and under (1 counsellor: 7 campers)
- 6 to 9 years (1 counsellor: 8 campers)
- 9 to 12 years (1 counsellor: 9 campers)
- 12+ years (1 counsellor: 10 campers)
- 6 to 9 years (1 counsellor: 4 campers)
- 10+ years (1 counsellor: 10 campers)
Please note some vendor companies operate at a 1 counsellor to 10 camper ratio for those 6+ years depending on the nature of the camp.
Due to the change in the Child Care and Early ACT, all campers must turn four years old before they are permitted to attend any Town of Newmarket summer camp programs. For further information please go to www.ontario.ca