The Lower Main Street South Heritage Conservation District Advisory Group is responsible for review of heritage permit applications in the Heritage Conservation District area. The applications include the following types of work:
- demolition of a building or part of a building;
- removal of a building to a different location on site or to another site;
- erection of a new building, a new facade, a new storefront, an addition to an existing building, a new garage or a new fence or wall;
- structural intervention that affects the external appearance of a building;
- repointing and repairing masonry, cleaning masonry of paint or grime, or painting a staining masonry;
- removal of parging, External Insulation and Finish System, siding or facade screen from walls or installation of new wall material to replace or cover existing wall material;
- alteration of doors and windows, their heads and their surrounds, or cutting of new door and window openings in walls;
- alteration of roofline or skyline by changes to cornices, overhangs, eaves, parapets, chimneys, dormers, rooftop equipment, towers and roof shape or alteration of historic roof coverings such as slate;
- removal or addition of architectural detail, such as storefront cornices, decorative brickwork, stone trim, brackets, window shutters, awnings, porches and balconies;
- erection of a sign; and
- alteration of streets and their boulevards, squares, parking lots, the municipal steps south of Park Avenue, the open space around Christian Baptist Church, the front yard of Trinity United Church and the rectangular courtyard space between 262 Main Street South and 481 Water Street.
In addition, the group also reviews matters relating to the Official Plan, Zoning By-law, Site Plan Control By-law and Sign By-law as they apply to the Heritage Conservation District area.
Chief Administrative Officer, Town of Newmarket (ex-officio)
Chief Building Official or his designate
Economic Development Officer
Athol Hart, Chair, Heritage Newmarket Advisory Committee
Glenn Wilson, Chair, Main Street District Business Improvement Area Board of Management
Agendas and Minutes
For agendas and minutes visit the
Agendas, Minutes and Meetings page.
For more information on Committee Terms of Reference or agendas and minutes, contact Legislative Services at 905-953-5300 or e-mail
For more information on Committee activities and applications, contact the Planning and Building Services Department at 905-953-5300 or e-mail