John Taylor was elected to municipal office in 2006 and is currently serving his third consecutive term as Regional Councillor for the Town of Newmarket, representing the Town on both Town Council and York Region Council.
John has more than 30 years of political and business experience. He is the former co-owner of a business with more than 30 employees. He is the former host of Focal Point, a weekly political affairs program on Rogers TV. John has taught at the high school and university levels. He was also an advisor to the Minister of Community and Social Services at Queen's Park.
John is a lifelong resident of Newmarket and has been an active community volunteer with numerous organizations for more than 30 years and is currently Volunteer President of the Heart and Stroke Foundation, York North and the President of the Newmarket Children's Dream Foundation.
While attending Trent University, the University of Toronto, and the University of British Columbia, John earned Bachelor degrees in English and Education, a Masters degree in Canadian Studies, and a Ph.D. in Education.
John is married to Michelle and together they have two young children, Addison and Ethan.
2014-2018 Term of Council
York Region Committees
- Community and Health Services Committee (Chair)
- Environmental Services Committee
- Finance and Administration Committee
- Housing York Inc. (Director)
- Human Services Planning Board (Co-Chair)
- Planning and Economic Development Committee
- Transportation Master Plan Task Force
- Transportation Services Committee
Town of Newmarket Committees
- Community Centre Lands Task Force
- Downtown Newmarket Parking Review Task Force
- Earth Hour Planning Committee (Chair)
- Leash-Free Dog Park Committee
- Newmarket Economic Development Advisory Committee (NEDAC)
- Newmarket Gala for the Arts (Co-Chair)
- Newmarket Municipal Energy Plan Stakeholder Advisory Group
- Site Plan Review Committee
- VivaNext Implementation Task Force
- AMO's Housing and Homelessness Task Force
- Annual Electronic Waste Event Planning Committee
- Community Hub Working Group
- GTA Housing Action Lab
- Heart and Stroke Foundation York North (President)
- Metrolinx Barrie Regional Express Corridor Committee
- Newmarket Children's Dream Foundation (President)
- Ride Your Bike to Work Day (Co-Chair)
- Teach for Canada Circle of Advisors
- Voices of Joy Fundraising Committee
- York University President's Community Engagement Council
Electronic Waste Recycling Event - October 22, 2016
Upper Canada Mall, South West Parking Lot
10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
The views expressed on personal websites are those of the individual Council member and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of the Corporation of the Town of Newmarket.