CYFS Fast Facts
- Central York Fire Services (CYFS) proudly protects the Town of Aurora and the Town of Newmarket in York Region. The department was formed in January 2002 by consolidating the former Aurora Fire Department and Newmarket Fire Department.
- Central York Fire Services is governed by a Joint Council Committee comprised of three councillors from Newmarket Council and three from Aurora Council.
- CYFS is comprised of 119 staff working in 4 Divisions:
- Administration - includes the Fire Chief, Deputy Fire Chief Operations and Deputy Fire
Chief Support Services, Human Resources Consultant, two Administrative Assistants, and
- Training - includes two Training Officers
- Fire Prevention includes the Chief Fire Prevention Officer, the Fire Prevention Officer and
- Suppression - divided into 4 platoons and includes 4 Platoon Chiefs, 20 Captains and 80
- There are four stations - two in Newmarket and two in Aurora. CYFS has five crews on duty at all times.
- The department responds to a wide range of emergencies, including: fires, motor vehicle collisions, hazardous materials incidents, rescues and emergency medical incidents.
- CYFS is engaged in progressive public education activities and a wide ranging fire safety inspection program that includes the Stay Fire Smart program conducted during the summer months.
- CYFS serves a combined population of approximately 133,000.
- The department responds to approximately 4700 calls for assistance per year.
- CYFS purchases dispatch services from the Town of Richmond Hill.
- CYFS participates in mutual aid with all the other fire services in York Region, ensuring sufficient emergency response capabilities for any eventuality.
- CYFS holds open houses in the fall for stations in both Aurora and Newmarket and encourages residents to come out and meet your fire service.
For more information on Central York Fire Services, please visit their website at http://www.cyfs.ca/en/