If you notice graffiti on public or private property in Newmarket, please contact our Customer Service department at 905-895-5193,
online here, or through the Newmarket
'my-waste' app using the ‘report a problem’ feature.
If you see graffiti or vandalism in progress, please call 911. Graffiti is a crime and should be reported to the York Regional Police. View
Newmarket's Anti-Graffiti bylaw 2011-67 for more information.
Report Graffiti Online
How can graffiti be prevented?
Graffiti can be prevented if it is reported and removed as soon as possible. Removing graffiti within 24 to 48 hours makes it easier to clean and reduces the notoriety for graffiti vandals from having their work on display.
If graffiti is not removed on the property which the graffiti is present, or the property looks neglected or abandoned (overgrown lawn, broken fence etc.), it sends a message to vandals that the owner of the property does not care, resulting in more graffiti.
Here are some tips to help prevent / reduce graffiti:
- Remove graffiti quickly
- Use anti-graffiti coatings
- Reduce access to walls (e.g. fencing, landscaping)
- Restrict access during high-risk times (e.g. lock gates at night)
- Increase lighting.
- Increase surveillance (e.g. plan activities during high-risk times, situate staff at high-risk locations, arrange security patrols, involve neighbours, install CCTVs, use alarms or movement-activated lighting)
- Use materials and coatings to deter graffiti
- Reduce the size and number of walls through landscaping, colour, texture, art or design