NOTICE OF INTENTION TO DESIGNATE IN THE MATTER OF THE ONTARIO HERITAGE ACT, R.S.O. 1990, CHAPTER O.18, AS AMENDED, AND IN THE MATTER OF THE LANDS AND PREMISES LOCATED AT 379 BOTSFORD STREET IN THE TOWN OF NEWMARKET, IN THE PROVINCE OF ONTARIO.
TAKE NOTICE that the Council of The Corporation of the Town of Newmarket intends to designate 379 Botsford Street under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. O.18, as amended.
Description of Property
The George Binns House, located at 379 Botsford Drive, is situated on the north side of the road, in the Town of Newmarket. The property contains a two-and-a-half storey hip roof red brick house constructed circa 1906. The property is legally described as Part Lot 85, Plan 81.
Statement of Cultural Heritage Value or Interest
The George Binns House is a good example of a two-and-a-half storey Edwardian house with Queen Anne elements. The L-shaped plan two-and-a-half storey house is constructed with red brick laid in stretcher bond with projecting bands of coursing at the sill level of the second storey window openings as well as at the lintel level of the basement window openings that both run around the entire perimeter of the house. The foundation is cut stone. Typical of Edwardian style, the house has a high hip roof with bracketed wide eaves broken by a hip roof dormer, a wrap-around verandah and a projecting pedimented over the two storey bay window. The Queen Anne influence is seen in the variety of decorative details and window openings including the projecting two storey bay on the west wing with a continuous border of lintel stones that carry across the tops of the three window openings. The wing is topped with a fish scale decorated pediment within which is a small window decorated with a fan motif in the peak. The façade is two-bay with an additional decorative oval stained glass window with a wood surround and radiating brick voussoirs. Several other stained glass windows are also found on the house: the single entranceway and large window opening with a stained glass transom and the large centrally placed stain glass arched window on the north elevation with has radiating brick voussoirs and a stone sill. The windows are topped with single lug rusticated stone lintels and sills. The verandah with sawed post balustrade is covered by a hip roof supported by half columns resting on brick stone foundations.
The George Binns House is associated with George Binns, who was a prominent citizen and shop owner in Newmarket. The house was built for George Alexander Binns (1867–1940) in 1906 where he lived until his death in 1940 when it was sold by his executors. George was the son of G.M. Binns, a printer of the first conservative newspaper in Newmarket, the Newmarket Courier. Binns began working in the hardware industry in 1890 with J.C. Robertson. By 1902 he started his own business in Newmarket with a focus on hardware, carriage, woodenware and sports. Two years later he bought the land for this house. He operated the business on Newmarket's main street for over 35 years. He sold his interest in his company to Mr. Rowland when he retired in 1928. The store was later known as MacNab Hardware. George Binns lived in the home with his wife, Emily (Watson) Binns, daughters Florence and Marjorie and son Gordon. George Binns was a prominent citizen in Newmarket; he served on Town Council, the high school board and cemetery board. He was a board member of the bicycle club, curling and bowling clubs, a charter member of the High Wheel Newmarket Bicycle Club (1885), and a Master of the Masonic Lodge. George Binns' contribution to the Town of Newmarket is commemorated through the naming of "Binns Avenue" after him.
The George Binns House's distinctive architecture and situation on a slight rise from the street makes it a landmark along Botsford Drive. The house supports the heritage character of the historic neighbourhood.
For more information or to receive a copy of the Designation Statement, please contact Dave Ruggle at 905-953-5321 x2454 (email@example.com). Notice of objection to the designation may be sent to Lisa Lyons, Clerk, no later than 4:30 p.m. on Monday April 4th, 2017 at: 395 Mulock Drive P.O. Box 328 STN Main Newmarket, Ontario, L3Y 4X7.