The theme of the 2019 budget is ensuring we meet the needs of our community now and in the future. How do approach building a budget for our community?
- We focus on continuing to deliver top-quality programs and services to our residents.
- We plan ahead to ensure we have the space, facilities and infrastructure we need for our future population.
- We get valuable input from residents and members of our community on how they want to see their tax dollars invested which can help guide our Council's Strategic Priorities.
What the 2019 budget delivers
Building the budget
On an annual basis, the Town prepares a budget to authorize its expenditures for the year, which includes operating expenses and capital expenses. What are operating and capital expenses?
Operating expenses are expenses required for the day-to day needs of the Town. Operating expenses help the Town to maintain its current levels of service in the community and cover things like snow plowing, waste and recycling pick-up and fire and emergency services.
Capital expenses cover one-time projects which serve as an investment in our future, and benefit our overall community. The creation of Newmarket Riverwalk Commons, the restoration of our Old Town Hall and the recent purchase of the Mulock Estate are all examples of capital expenses.
As set out by Council and informed by community input, the Town prioritizes projects and services to meet both legislative requirements and community needs when developing the budget. Although the budgets are broken-down into service areas, the budget is considered and recommended as a whole to enhance the Town's decision-making process.
Planning for our future today
Earlier this year, the Town of Newmarket purchased the Mulock Farm Property located at the northwest corner of Mulock Drive and Yonge Street. The vision for the property is to transform the area into an iconic urban oasis and greenspace. The cost of the property is estimated to be $24 million.This community development project will cost approximately $46.44 per year for the average tax payer over 30 years*, accounting for a 2.6 per cent increase on the tax base
*Estimate based on the average assessed home in Newmarket.
For more information on this space,
visit our Mulock page here
Get Involved and give us your feedback on how you want to see your tax dollars invested or on our overall budget process. Send us your comments, questions and ideas for the budget by emailing email@example.com or calling 905-895-5193. Missed a meeting? All budget meetings are recorded and archived at newmarket.ca/meetings
Schedule for 2019 Budget
The following dates are subject to Council approval and may be subject to change. Stream a budget meeting online at
newmarket.ca/meetings if you can't attend in-person.
- December 10, 2018 - Fees & Charges Reports
- December 17, 2018 - Approval of Fees & Charges, Budget Schedule, Target and Engagement Plan
- January 14, 2019 - Preliminary Draft Budget Presentation
- January 21, 2019 - Budget Information available on website
- January 28, 2019 - Special Committee of the Whole - Capital Budget and Asset Replacement Fund
- February 4, 2019 - Special Committee of the Whole - Operating Budgets
- February 25, 2019 - Committee of the Whole Regular Meeting with Draft Budgets and Community Engagement Phase 2 Update
- March 4, 2019 - Target Date for Council Approval of 2019 Budget
2019 Budget Reports and Presentations
Draft 2019 Capital Budget (Powerpoint Presentation)
2019 Capital Budget Supplementary Report and Information
Budget Report January 14, 2019
Appendix A - Summary of Operating Budget Decision Packages - Details
Appendix B - Summary of Capital Budget Decision Packages - Details
2018-31 Licensing Fees Information Report
2018-32 Recreation Fees and Charges Information Report
- PowerPoint Presentation - Sp CoW Dec 10 2018
2018-36 Information Report Q3 Final
2018-37 User Fees and Charges General 2019
2019 Fire Services Fees Charges
2019 Fees Charges Overview Report
Stormwater Rates for 2019
Water and Wastewater Rates for 2019
Building Permit Fees for 2019
Debt Retirement Report
2019 Interim Appropriations Report
Museum Fund Report
2019 Planning Fees Charges
Planning Act Fees for 2019
Financial Sustainability Report