Affected Services and Frequently Asked Questions


Municipal Office

395 Mulock Drive P.O. Box 328 Station Main, Newmarket, Ontario
L3Y 4X7

Email Us

Current Status of Newmarket Services

As a precautionary measure, the Town of Newmarket has closed all facilities to the public until further notice. All drop-in, registered programs, events and public meetings have been cancelled. For the most up-to-date information on what's open and closed, visit

Essential services provided by the Town that will continue to operate include, but are not limited to water and wastewater services, waste and recycling pick-up, general maintenance of Town-maintained roads, sidewalks and trails, customer service call centres, Central York Fire Services (emergency services) and more. 

The Town will continue to provide services to residents by email ( or by phone 905-895-5193 where possible. 

Please see below for a list below for services that the Town is still offering and some frequently asked questions. 

COVID-19 Frequently Asked Questions for Newmarket

Property Taxes and Utility Bills

What is the Financial Relief Plan?

The Town of Newmarket introduced a Financial Relief Plan to assist residents during the COVID-19 pandemic. This plan was created to give those in need more time to pay. The Town urges those who are able to pay to continue to do so to help support essential services and those who need it most.

The Financial Relief Program is intended to help our residents and businesses who are most in need. Please note that the waiver of penalties and interest is a relief measure. It is important to note that payments are to the Town are still owed, and are not eliminated. 

The 2020 Financial Relief Plan ended on January 31, 2021 and the 2021 Financial Relief Program has now ended as well. 

How can I pay for my property taxes during COVID-19?

Those who wish to pay their taxes in person can do so at the Municipal Offices as the Magna Centre and Ray Twinney Recreation Complex. Please note that only cashless transactions are currently being accepted. 

The hours of operation are as follows:

Municipal Offices (395 Mulock Drive) 

  • Hours of Operations:
    • Monday to Friday from 8:30 to 4:30 p.m. 

The Town also offers a number of payment options for your property taxes. For more details, check payment options.

  • In-person, online or telephone banking through your financial institution 
    • If you wish to pay your taxes in cash, please do so at your financial institution as the Town has not resumed in-person services yet. 
  • Mailing a cheque to the Municipal Offices
  • Please do not mail cash or drop off any cash at the Municipal Offices for property tax payment. 

If I cancel my participation from any Pre-Authorized Payment Plan, how can I return?

If you cancelled your participation from your PAP plan, because you were in financial need, and wish to re-apply, you will need to:

  1. Pay any outstanding owing amounts of your property tax account (account balance must be $0).
  2. Re-apply by submitting an application form to and provide a void cheque to the Town. Re-enrollments will be treated as new applications.
What are the due dates for the Final Property Tax Bills for 2021? 

The three instalments for interim property taxes will be due on:

  • February 25, 2022
  • March 25, 2022
  • April 25, 2022
The three instalments for final property taxes will be due on: 
  • July 25, 2022 
  • August 25, 2022
  • September 26, 2022 

Learn about alternative ways you can pay your taxes. 

For more information, email

Can I defer paying my water bill?

Water and wastewater charges are collected by NT Power. Please contact NT Power at 905-895-2309 for further information.

The Town of Newmarket is unable to mandate what NT Power charges. 

What type of electricity usage relief is provided to residents during the COVID-19 pandemic?
COVID-19 Energy Assistance Program (CEAP)

The Province of Ontario is provided assistance to support residential customers who are having difficulties paying their energy bill. CEAP will provide a one time, on-bill credit to eligible residential electricity and natural gas customers to help them catch up on their energy bills and resume regular payments. 

The program is being delivered by electricity distributors, gas distributors and unit sub-meter providers (USMPs), in accordance with rules laid out by the OEB. Utilities and USMPs began accepting applications for CEAP on July 13, 2020.

Learn more about the program and how you can apply with NT Power. 

Why isn't the Town of Newmarket following the same Financial Relief model as other municipalities?

Every municipality has its own set of rules and regulations that it must follow. For example, the City of Toronto is a single tier municipality and has more flexibility in its rules. The Town is a lower-tier municipality and must continue to coordinate property tax payments to the Regional Municipality of York and other government entities.

In order to ensure that services to our community are still provided, the Town is required to continue to collect property taxes and other payments. 

The Financial Relief Program is meant to provide those in need more time to make their payments. The Town is only waiving interest and penalties for non-payment of these charges until February 1, 2021. These amounts are still owed to the Town of Newmarket. If you can continue to make your payments, please do so in order to avoid a large balance owing to the Town by the end of the year. 

Animal Services

Is the Georgina Animal Shelter still open?
The Georgina shelter is closed to the public.
Who do I call if I have lost my pet or found a lost pet?
Animal Services will continue to respond to calls for found pets. You can contact Animal Services toll free number at 1-877-979-PAWS. Please note that if your pet is found and has been taken to the Georgina Animal Shelter, you will need to contact the shelter directly and schedule an appointment for pickup as the Shelter is currently not open to the public.
How can I help the Georgina Animal Shelter?
The shelter appreciates donations, however, at this time the Shelter has asked residents to hold on to them for now until the centre re-opens to the public. Any donations left at the door will not be accepted.

Bylaws and Property Standards

Will by-law enforcement services continue?
By-law enforcement and investigation services will continue for emergency orders and in response to unsafe conditions, including:
  • Unsafe dwellings (ADUs or other) which will be referred to Central York Fire Services
  • No heat
  • No water
  • Immediate concerns (e.g. significant flooding due to swale/drainage issues)
  • Parking Enforcement
All other property standards complaints will be received and responded to on a per-case basis. Property Standards Officers will receive and review complaint calls and notify a property owner, via letter, that a formal complaint has been received. The letter will request voluntary compliance and a follow up inspection will be conducted at a later date.
How will complaints be responded to for Property Standards?
Emergency by-law enforcement and investigation services will continue for emergency orders and in response to unsafe conditions, including: Unsafe dwellings (ADUs or other) which will be referred to Central York Fire Services No heat No water Immediate concerns (e.g. significant flooding due to swale/drainage issues). 

All other property standards complaints will be received and responded to on a per-case basis. Property Standards Officers will receive and review complaint calls and notify a property owner, via letter, that a formal complaint has been received. The letter will request voluntary compliance and a follow up inspection will be conducted at a later date.

Business Support

How does the Town of Newmarket provide support to local businesses?
Newmarket’s Economic Development team continues to support local businesses during this difficult time. All business support activities will be conducted via telephone and email. Please email for assistance or visit for more information

For more information on business support during the COVID-19 Pandemic, visit or sign-up for weekly COVID-19 related business email updates. 

Community Support

What is the Town doing to support the community?
Newmarket Council approved up to $25,000 in 2020 to support of community meal programs, enhanced community food bank operations or to be used for other community needs. Newmarket is also working with these community groups on contingency planning to ensure they are able to meet the needs of the community during COVID-19.
How can I help the community?

Now more than ever, we need to help each other out. Thanks to all who have offered to help the community during the ever-changing COVID-19 pandemic. Here is how you can help these major community groups in Newmarket:

Newmarket Food Pantry

You can make an online donation to the Newmarket Food Pantry The Newmarket Food Pantry is able to purchase food directly from suppliers to meet the needs of the community. 

Inn from the Cold

Inn from the Cold offers various ways the community can assist. Please visit their donation page for more information.

Salvation Army – Northridge

Contact the Salvation Army – Central York Region Northridge directly to see how you can help them. You can also make an online donation to the Central York Region Northridge Community Church directly. If you or someone you know needs help, you can reach out to them as well.

United Way – Peel, Toronto and York Region

Make a donation online  to United Way (Peel, Toronto and York Region) to assist those in need during COVID-19. This donation will allow United Way to invest in resources that are needed the most. This includes basic needs for the community, help for seniors, community services and mental health support.

The Town of Newmarket is working with many local organizations who are helping to support the community throughout the COVID-19 pandemic. For more information on how you can help, please contact us at 905-895-5193.

General Town Services

What Town of Newmarket building and facilities are open / closed?

For the most up to date information on what's open and closed in Newmarket, please view our Open and Closed webpage

What are your telephone hours of operation?
Customer Service Call Centre hours - 905-895-5193: Monday to Thursday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. 

For municipal emergencies after hours, call 905-895-5193, press 3 and your call will be directed to our After-Hours service.

Library Services 

What Library Services are currently available?

The library is open. Learn more about the services currently available at the Newmarket Public Library's website

Residents can also access the online library 24/7. If you are having troubles, you can reach us Monday to Sunday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Mandatory Masks and Face Coverings in York Region / Newmarket

Is it mandatory to wear masks in Newmarket?

As of March 21, 2022 masks or face coverings are no longer required to enter any Newmarket facility. 

While masks are not required, we recognize the importance of personal choice and encourage those who feel more comfortable wearing a mask to continue to do so.

Everyone is adjusting with living with COVID-19 at their own pace. Please remember to be kind and considerate to everyone. 

Members of Council, Council Meetings and Public Meetings

Are Council and Public Meetings cancelled?

No. Council and Public meetings are running as scheduled. To ensure that you have up to date information on any cancellation or postponement of Council, Committee of the Whole or Advisory Committee meetings visit for current information.  

How can I reach the Mayor and Members of Council
All Members of Council are available to residents. They are a phone call or email away - contacts available here.

Parking Services

Will parking by-law enforcement services continue?
Yes, parking enforcement will respond to any complaint calls received with a focus on health and safety-related issues. Parking Officers will be working 7 days a week from 7 a.m. until 6 p.m. and will be proactive in the community, visible to the public, and available to respond to calls, as needed. Residents can call Customer Service at 905-895-5193 to make a complaint.

Can I still pay my parking ticket?
Yes, you can pay your parking ticket online, by phone or by mail. 
  • Paying online: Visit
  • Call to make a payment: Call Customer Service at 905-895-5193 to make a payment over the phone using a credit card.
  • Mail in your payment: You can mail a cheque to: Town of Newmarket, Customer Services, 395 Mulock Drive, PO Box 328, STN Main, Newmarket ON, L3Y 4X7. Please do not send cash in the mail. 
  • In-person at the Customer Service Kiosk at the Magna Centre / Ray Twinney Recreation Complex during its hours of operation.

Can I still dispute my parking ticket?
To dispute a parking ticket, you must go online to and request to dispute. Screenings will be conducted online or the disputant may specifically provide a telephone number under “reason for dispute” and a Screening Officer will contact the disputant via telephone.

Can I get a parking exemption for on-street parking?

At this time, the Town of Newmarket is not offering on-street parking exemptions as winter parking restrictions run from November 1, 2021 until April 15, 2022. Any vehicles parked on the street/roadway between the hours of 2 a.m. and 6 a.m. during this time will be subject to a fine as this interferes with snow clearing operations, regardless of whether or not there is snow on the ground.

Temporary off-Street Parking Program during the pandemic

The Town of Newmarket has launched an off-street overnight parking program to allow residents to park in select municipal lots overnight between the hours of 5 p.m. to 7 a.m. with a permit. Learn more about the temporary off-street parking program by visiting 

Are there any parking by-law exemptions during COVID-19?
No parking exemptions will be issued after October 31 as winter parking restrictions begin on November 1, 2020 until April 15, 2021. 

Planning and Building Services

What Planning and or Building Services are still being offered by the Town?
  • Electronic Planning Applications
  • Limited processing of Development and Committee of Adjustment Applications
  • Pre-Consultation Meetings via Video Conferencing
  • Building Permits and Inspection
For more information, please visit the Planning and Building Services webpage.

Is the Town still accepting new Planning applications and/or Building Permit Applications?
The Town of Newmarket Planning & Building Services has adapted its processes to be able to continue to provide services during the COVID-19 pandemic while respecting the health and safety of customers and staff. For more information, please visit the Planning and Building Services webpage.

Playgrounds, park amenities, hard courts, sport fields, trails and other outdoor recreational amenities

Is outdoor skating at Riverwalk Commons open?
Outdoor skating at Riverwalk Commons is closed for the season. Visiting the outdoor skating webpage for more information.

What outdoor recreational amenities are open and closed to the public?  
Visit our open and closed webpage for the most up-to-date information on what is open or closed in Newmarket. 
Can I use the trails and bike lanes during COVID-19?
The Town’s trails system and bike lanes are open for use. When outdoors, residents who are walking, running, walking their dog or cycling are reminded to exercise appropriate social and physical distancing. 

What safety measures should I be taking when at a playground?
Residents are reminded to follow the rules on the posted signage at each location and to use the playground at your own risk. Playgrounds are not supervised and not sanitized regularly and require everyone to take precautions by staying at least 6ft./2m. away from others and ensuring hands are washed and/or sanitized before and after using the amenity.

Be courteous and share this space with the community. If the playground is busy, and physical distancing is not possible, consider travelling to another nearby playground or coming back at a later time
Why does my dog have to be on a leash at all times on Newmarket's parks, trails and open spaces? 

Recently, the Town has received double the volume of calls and concerns from residents about dogs being off leash. What people may not initially realize is that an off-leash dog is a risk to physical distancing because it brings people together. For example, when a dog is off leash, it may approach another dog on-leash or even other people out for walks. The owner is then forced to approach the other person to retrieve their dog, causing an interaction with the other person/dog and inability to maintain physical distancing of at least 6ft, creating weariness for contact.

The Animal Control By-law requiring dogs to be on leash at all times on public property, with the exception of the Newmarket Dog Park, is an existing bylaw. Off-leash is not permitted anywhere on Town property and Municipal Bylaw Officers are set to issue fines starting at $400. As a first step, Bylaw Officers will continue to educate individuals on the importance of having their pets / dogs on a leash. If non-compliance continues, (e.g. clear signs being ignored, not complying once reminded of the rules), fines will be issued.

Watch the Town's Manager of Regulatory Services explain why it's important to keep your dog on a leash so that everyone can feel safe and enjoy public spaces in the video below. 


Why is the boardwalk at the Tom Taylor Trail open to one-way traffic only?
The boardwalk on the Tom Taylor Trail is narrow and does not allow residents to properly practice physical distancing of at least 6ft. / 2m. As a result, the boardwalk area is only allowing one-way traffic, with the entrance located at the south-end of the trail near the Municipal Offices. Please note that when using the boardwalk, no passing and cyclists are not allowed. Learn more. 
Why do the signs posted at open outdoor recreation amenities say 'use at your own risk'?
High touch-points at these outdoor areas (gates, benches etc.) are not cleaned frequently. Therefore residents are reminded to take extra caution and to use each amenity at their own risk. Remember to wash your hands with soap for at least 20 seconds or use an alcohol-based sanitizer after use. 
Can I toboggan in Newmarket?
The Town of Newmarket does not have any designated hills for tobogganing and does not maintain any areas for winter activities. Please use outdoor areas at your own risk and follow these guidelines. 
Users must:
  • Check the hill. Make sure it is free of hazards (trees, rocks, fences, bumps)
  • Avoid ice-covered areas
  • Make sure there is room at the bottom of the hill to stop – away from roads, or bodies of water
  • Use proper sliding equipment and wear a helmet (ski helmets are recommended)
  • Make sure your route is clear before sliding
  • All children should be supervised by an adult
  • Only toboggan with members of the same household
  • Maintain 6ft./2m. at all times from others
  • It is recommended that users wear a mask when tobogganing

Recreation and Culture Programs and Events

What is the status of recreation programs at the Town of Newmarket?
For more information on recreation programs offered by the Town, visit 
What is happening with Facility Permits, Rentals and Bookings?
For more information on permits, rentals and bookings, please email

What is the status of community events in Newmarket?
For more information on community events in Newmarket, please visit 

Social and Physical Distancing

What is social / physical distancing?
COVID-19 is known to spread from person to person. The only way to limit the spread of COVID-19 is to practice safe social and physical distancing. To reduce the spread, it is recommended that everyone try to stay at least 6ft. (2m.) away from other people.

Vaccination requirements at Town facilities and events 

What is the criteria regarding ages and participation and access to Town hosted activities and programs, and access to a Town facility including the Customer Service Kiosk?

All individuals 12+ (with the exception of those 12-17 who are participating in an organized sport) will be required to provide proof of full vaccination (plus 14 days) for entry into a Town facility or recreation program. 

  • Note: The Newmarket Public Library is exempt from this regulation.
How are guidelines the Town is following for COVID-19 determined?

All in-person programs, drop-in's and events hosted by the Town of Newmarket will follow all guidelines released by the Ontario Ministry of Health and York Region Public Health in addition to vaccination requirements set for by the Town as approved by Newmarket Council on September 22, 2021.

On September 1, the Province of Ontario announced that as of September 22, 2021, those entering certain indoor public settings will be required to be fully vaccinated and provide proof of their vaccination status. With this announcement, The Town of Newmarket has a legal obligation to uphold the regulations set forth by the Province of Ontario.

As such the Town has developed requirements noted above that surpass provincial recommendations. These precautions have been developed with ensure a safe, fair and consistent environment.

What does fully vaccinated mean?
Fully vaccinated means those 12+ must have proof of two doses of a Health Canada Approved Vaccine or one dose of the Jansen (Johnson and Johnson) vaccine and 14 days must have passed since your last vaccine.

What is proof of vaccination?

Proof of vaccination is currently not required to enter Newmarket facilities. However, everyone that has been vaccinated should have received a vaccination receipt following your appointment. To access your vaccination receipts after your appointment, use Ontario's COVID-19 vaccination system. Individuals not able to access the receipt through this system can call the Provincial Vaccine Booking Line at 1-833-943-3900. 

Are Town staff fully vaccinated?
The Town has a vaccination policy that requires all staff to be fully vaccinated no later than November 1, 2021.
Where do I express concerns about the requirement for vaccination to participate?

The Town of Newmarket, like all businesses and municipalities, has a legal obligation to comply with all regulations set forth by the Province of Ontario.  Any concerns with the policies should be addressed with your Member of Provincial Parliament. For Newmarket, your Member of Provincial Parliament (MPP) Christine Elliott.

Waste and Recycling Services

Is curbside waste and recycling pick-up still happening?
Yes, please continue to place your waste and recycling items at the curb by 7 a.m. on your regularly scheduled pick-up day.
Are there any precautions I should take when disposing my waste during COVID-19?

Yes, please follow these guidelines keep you and your family safe: 

  • Throw used tissues, latex gloves and masks in a wastebasket lined with a plastic bag in the garbage. Do not place these items in the recycling bin.
  • Wash your hands with soap and water after throwing those items away as well as after emptying your waste basket.
  • Tie all plastic bags and put out with your regular trash.
  • All garbage bags need to be tied when set out at the curb. Loose materials left in garbage cans may be left behind.
  • If out in the community, please do not litter these items. Place in a trash can or take home to go in your own garbage. Littering these materials on the ground is unacceptable and poses a risk to the public, workers and the environment.
  • Litter clean up in these unprecedented times should be done with caution. Residents who choose to pick up garbage off the ground should wear gloves and immediately perform hand hygiene afterwards. They should either wash their hands with soap and water for 20 seconds or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
  • For those who are sick or test positive for COVID-19: Place all disposable items that have come into contact with your mouth, nose or eyes into the garbage -- this includes recyclables such as plastic water bottles, pop cans or milk cartons, or compostables such as facial tissue or paper napkins.
  • For your safety and that of our waste collectors, it's vital that you respect physical distancing. Please keep a distance of 2 metres (6 feet) at all times.

Can I still dispose large items?
Yes, large items can be placed at the curb for pick-up on your scheduled garbage collection day provided each item has been affixed with a large item tag. Residents can purchase large item tags by contacting Customer Service at 905-953-5303 or emailing In addition, you can go to the Customer Service kiosks at the Magna Centre or the Ray Twinney Recreation Complex in-person during regular business hours (please note that you will be screened, need to be vaccination verified, and must wear a mask to come into the building). If you are sending us an email, please include your phone number and our Customer Service Centre will be in touch with you regarding payment. Please do not email your payment information. The Town will send you your large item tags by mail.

Large item tags are also available for purchase from the Newmarket Public Library. Please note that strict health and safety measures are in place. Learn more by visiting 

How should I dispose disinfecting wipes, baby wipes and paper towels?
Disinfecting wipes and baby wipes belong in the garbage. Paper towels belong in the green bin. Please do not flush these items down the toilet as this may cause sewer back-ups. Please note that sewer back-ups are the responsibility of the homeowner.
Can I still donate to the Textile Recycling Program?
Newmarket’s textile recycling program has resumed and is available for use. Learn more at

Those looking to donate their unwanted textiles can also donate these items at select York Region Waste depots. Learn more by visiting York Region's website to see which locations are accepting textiles. 
Are York Region Waste Depots still open?
At this time, all York Region Waste Deports are open. Before visiting a York Region Waste Depot, the Town recommends visiting York Region's website.

Is yard waste pick-up still happening during COVID-19?
Yard waste collection in Newmarket takes place from April to November every two weeks on your scheduled pick-up day. Please remember to place waste containers at the curb no later than 7 a.m. on your scheduled collection day and no earlier than 5 p.m. the night before collection. Ensure that yard waste material set out for collection is in accordance with the Town's waste program requirements.
My recycling bin or green bin is broken. Can I still exchange for a new one?
If your Town of Newmarket issued green bin or blue recycling bin is broken, please call Green for Life (GFL) at 1-866-421-5625 to schedule a replacement bin exchange.
What is the status of Curbside Giveaway Days?
Curbside Giveaway Days have resumed. For more information, please visit 

How can I purchase a new blue box, green bin or kitchen catcher? 
Residents looking to purchase a new blue box, green bin or kitchen catcher can do so by contacting the Town of Newmarket by emailing or calling 905-953-5303. If you are emailing your order, a customer service associate will contact you for payment information. Please do not include payment information in your email. All items will be delivered by GFL to your home. 

Wedding and Commissioning Services

Will the Town still issue marriage licences?
You may be able to obtain a marriage licence from the Town. Please contact 905-895-5193 Monday to Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. or email and a Customer Service Associate will be able to further assist you. See the Getting Married during COVID-19 page for more information. 

I need to get a document commissioned or notarized, what do I do?
The Town is offering commissioning services by appointment only. Please contact or call 905-895-5193 for more information. If you need to get a document notarized, you may choose to visit a lawyer’s office to obtain that service.