History of Newmarket's Old Town Hall
Newmarket's Old Town Hall is located at 460 Botsford Street. The two-storey Old Town Hall is an important part of Newmarket's history. It was opened in 1883 and began operating as a Farmers' Market, operating until the 1940s. The Farmers' Market brought a great deal of prosperity to the area and helped Newmarket's Main Street grow into the heart of the community. Directly across the street from the Old Town Hall is Market Square, an open meeting place where local events and celebrations are held.
Since 2012, Newmarket's Old Town Hall had undergone substantial renovations to achieve architectural renaissance. A new atrium extension was added to the south side of the building representing the blending of the old and the new. Renovations and improvements were made throughout the building to make it fully accessible and ensure it functions as a culture hub for theatre, music, dance, arts and cultural activities and numerous opportunities for continued economic growth.
The restoration of Old Town Hall is part of a joint project with the Federal and Provincial government in which the Town of Newmarket received approximately $3.4 million in funding. As a key driver of the Town's Cultural Master Plan, this landmark will act as a hub for arts and culture and will play a key role in the revitalization of Newmarket's downtown core.
Learn more about the history of Newmarket's Old Town Hall or check out some of the upcoming events and activities such as:
Old Town Hall Naming Rights Holders