What's My Zoning?

A cut-out picture from the Zoning By-Law.


Planning Department

395 Mulock Dr, Newmarket, ON
L3Y 4X7
(905) 953-5321

Email Us

This page will show you how to find the zoning of a property in the Town of Newmarket in three steps. 

Read all of the the steps below in order to identify your zoning.

  1. ​​Locate the property on the Navigate Newmarket interactive map
  2. Identify your zoning
  3. Consult the zoning by-law
​Documents​Helpful Links

Recent News

  • January 2019: Council has adopted an Interim Control By-law that limits the ability to expand, rebuild, or add to many residential properties while a study on changes to the zoning by-law is undertaken. For more details, see this page.
  • June 2019: The Town has adopted a new zoning by-law for Yonge Street and Davis Drive in the urban centres areas. You can find more details on this page.

Step 1 - Locate the p​roperty on the Navigate Newmarket interactive map.

Graphic button linking to the Navigate Newmarket map.

Open the Navigate Newmarket interactive map​. Keep this page open in order to continue to read the steps below.

(Note: Safari browser​​​​ is not supported at this time.​ For best performance, use Chrome)



The disclaimer screen for the Navigate Newmarket map, highlighting the Continue button in the bottom left.

Click through to the map with the Continue button in the bottom left.​​​


The Navigate Newmarket map, highlighting the address search in the top right.


Use the search bar in the top left to choose Address Search.



The Navigate Newmarket map, highlighting to input an address in the search field.


Search for your address without the street title - e.g. "395 Mulock", and not "395 Mulock Drive".​​​

The Navigate Newmarket map, highlighting to select the Planning map layer from the Maps menu in the top left.

From the Maps dropdown in the top left, choose "Development" to show the zoning map.​​


Step 2 - Identify your zoning.

The Navigate Newmarket map showing many types of zoning.Note the zoning for your property in the red text. 

For example, R1-D (Single Detached Residential), or EH (Heavy Employment), or CA (Automotive Commercial). These codes identify different types of land use that can be found in the zoning by-law.

You can find a table of all zones (EH, for example) and all uses (Manufacturing, for example) on the ​Uses and Permitted Zones chart. 

If the property that interests you appears in bright blue, it is within the Urban Centres Zoning By-law 2019-06 and you can find details related to it online here.

Step 3 - Consult the Zoning By-law.

To find out if a use is permitted for a property:

You can find a table of all zones (EH, for example) and all uses (Manufacturing, for example) on the ​Uses and Permitted Zones chart.​ On this chart, a use is permitted in a zone if a dot is in the corresponding cell.

For example, a dot appears in the cell for Medical Office and Office for the CO-1 zones. These are the only permitted uses in the CO-1 zone.

To find out about what size, height, location, and type of building is permitted for a property:

The cover page of the Town's zoning by-law.




Open the Comprehensive Zoning​ By-law 2010-40​ or Urban Centres Zoning By-law 2019-06.

​You can find other Key Planning Documents here.​






An image of section 6.2 of the Zoning by-law. Consult Section 6 of the by-law. 

Depending on your zoning (e.g. R1, MU, CS, EM, etc) consult the relevant Zone Category to determine what uses are permitted on the property.

​For example, if you are considering leasing a building in an employment area (EM, EG, and EH zoning) such as is common east of Leslie Street, you would consult the ​Employment Zones table in section 6.5 and verify if your planned use is permitted. 

If the property has an exception number such as R1-D-119 rather than simply R1-D, consult the exceptions in Section 8 to find your unique requirements.

If you are uncertain of your use, check the definitions at the start of the zoning by-law. For example, ​the definitions will explain the difference between a manufacturing use and a warehouse use and help you determine which zones permit each one.


An image of section 6.2.2 of the Zoning by-law.​Also consult the Zone Standards to determine the requirements for the property related to elements like distance setbacks from the property line, maximum building height, and maximum driveway width. These are indicated by the suffix to your zoning code (e.g. R1-D).

If the property has an number following your zoning (such as R1-D-119​ or CO-1-4) rather than simply R1-D, consult the exceptions in Section 8 to find how your zoning deviates from the standard requirements for your parent (R1-D, for example) zone.


 Related p​ages:​​​

Step 4 - Contact the Planning Services department with any questions.​

​The Zoning By-law is a complex document that must be interpreted in its entirety. In addition to your zoning, there are other requirements that must be met for many changes. These include required permits, provisions that are applicable to all zones, parking requirements, approvals from other agencies,and other matters. Before undertaking any works, and if you have questions regarding your zoning, contact the Planning Services department