Driveway Widening and Curb Cuts

Planning and delvelopment link


Municipal Office

395 Mulock Drive P.O. Box 328 Station Main, Newmarket, Ontario
L3Y 4X7

Email Us

The zoning by-laws of the Town of Newmarket regulate the size and locations of driveways. Depending on the location of your property, the zoning by-law will place a limit on how wide, how large, or where your driveway can be located. 

  • For questions about how wide your driveway can be or where driveways are allowed, please email the planning department at 
  • If you would like to have the street curb modified to allow a change to your driveway, please fill out the application form below and email it to or deposit a completed application for to the Customer Service Centre at 395 Mulock Drive
​​​​Forms​Documents​Helpful Links

Curb cuts

Only Town staff or contractors authorized by the Town are permitted to modify Town-owned street curbs. Curb cuts are regulated in the Town of Newmarket to ensure:

  • Compliance with the Zoning By-laws
  • Safe distances from street infrastructure (hydro boxes, hydrants, streetlights)
  • Protection of trees

How wide can my driveway be?

The zoning by-law sets out specific limits on the size, width, and location of driveways. These limits vary property to property. In general, the zoning by-laws allow for driveway widths based on the type of dwelling as follows:

  • Single detached dwellings - 6 metres
  • Semi-detached dwellings - 5.2 metres
  • Townhouse dwellings - 3.0m

These figures are not a guarantee, and should be confirmed with the Planning Department before you undertake any work. For questions about how wide your driveway can be or where driveways are allowed, please email the planning department at 

Can I cover my front yard with a driveway, or interlocking stone?

No. The zoning by-law allows a driveway up to a maximum width and in many cases also allows a narrow walkway beside the driveway of a different surface material. Such a walkway cannot be used for parking. Beyond a driveway and a walkway, a front yard must be maintained as landscaped area.

Can I park on the street?

The Town's parking by-law limits where and for how long you can park on a street. Read more here.

What do I do if I need temporary parking for visitors?

The Town offers a temporary parking permit for on-street parking in some cases. Read more here.

Requirements for a curb cut application

  • Driveways must be a minimum of:
    • 0.6m away from an adjacent property line
    • 1.5m away from any street infrastructure
    • A sufficient distance from any Town-owned tree to prevent injury. This will vary depending on the size of the tree, and is at the discretion of the Town's Supervisor of Forestry.
  • For more complete information and to find the width your driveway is permitted to be consult the Town's zoning by-law at
  • You must provide a plan for your property that clearly illustrates, only in metric:
    1. Existing driveway width
    2. Proposed driveway width
    3. Width between sidewalk and curb
    4. Property lines
    5. Any trees, utilities, streetlights, hydro poles, or other fixtures and measurements from all of these to your proposed driveway and property lines, measured in metres


  • All applications for curb cuts must comply with the applicable zoning by-law.
  • All curb cuts will be performed by the Town's contractor. Do not modify the municipal curb yourself.
  • The application fees must be paid in full prior to any cut being initiated. The applicant will be responsible for any extra costs, if applicable (see below for details).

Image of sketch exmaples.  

Application Process 

If you wish to widen your driveway, please follow the necessary steps below:

  1. Prepare a drawing using a copy of your property survey. The property survey or drawing must show the existing driveway width in metres as well as the proposed width you wish to widen to as well as location of trees, utility boxes, street signs, light posts, sidewalk and dimension of curb to property line.
  2. Fill out an application form in person at the Customer Service department at  Municipal Offices  or send your application to
  3. Once the application has been approved, the Town will investigate the site to determine wehether adjustments to the existing sidewalk are required. The Town's inspector will also review other potential conflicts including utility infrastructure (e.g. telecommunications pedestals, hydro poles, etc) and street trees that could potentially compromise driveway widening. If no conflicts exist, the Town's inspector will mark the limits of the proposed widening with paint in preparation of the contractor's visit. This process usually takes two to three weeks.
  4. The fee paid for a curb cut application is strictly to cover the curb cut only. Any additional fees required to move/adjust infrastructure (e.g. move pedestals, move hydro poles, complete sidewalk reconstrution, etc) is not included with the curb cut fee and will be the sole responsibility of the applicant.
  5. The Town will contact you to advise you of the outcome of your application.

Please note, curb cut requests in new or 'un-assumed' subdivisions are not approved through this process. Homeowners are asked to wait until their subdivision has been assumed by the Town, before they apply for a curb cut. Alternatively, homeowners can contact their builder and request the curb adjustment.

Fees for driveway widening

Curb Cut

If your application has been approved, the fee will be $365.75 including HST in accordance with the Town's Fees and Charges By-law

Telecommunications and Hydro Infrastructure

Homeowners are responsible for making arrangements with the respective telecommunications companies and/or Newmarket-Tay Hydro should conflicts exist with their proposed driveway widening. For additional information, conditions of approval and associated fees for moving utility infrastructure within the municipal right-of-way, please contact the appropriate party.

Sidewalk Adjustment

Sometimes, certain conditions will require sidewalk reconstruction. If this is the case, homeowners can choose to either use the Town’s sidewalk contractor or hire their own contractor, since scheduling the Town’s sidewalk contractor is often difficult and may delay the project.

If the homeowner decides to utilize the Town’s sidewalk contractor, the estimated cost for the sidewalk reconstruction will be provided to the homeowner. Please note that scheduling of the sidewalk contactor is completed by a third party and the Town of Newmarket cannot provide an exact timeframe for sidewalk reconstruction.

Should the homeowner choose to hire their own contractor to reconstruct the sidewalk, the homeowner’s contractor must first obtain a Road Occupancy Permit (ROP) before starting any work in the municipal right-of-way. The contractor will be required to reconstruct the sidewalk to the applicable Town Standards.

In order to avoid creating a public health and safety hazard, the scheduling of the curb cut and the scheduling of the sidewalk reconstruction must occur in close succession to one another, with the curb cut occurring first. It is the homeowners responsibility to coordinate these activates. The Town of Newmarket requires a minimum of seventy-two (72) hours notice in order to arrange a time for the curb cut contractor to visit and complete the curb cut.