Switch off and connect to Earth - Saturday, March 28 from 8:30 to 9:30 p.m. for Earth Hour 2020
With everyone doing their part to limit the spread of COVID-19 and staying home, it may be hard to reduce your energy use. During these times, while we may not be able to get together in person, we can still symbolically stand in solidarity with millions of others across the world from the comfort of our own homes. There are still many ways to participate at home and together, let’s show our support for the planet during Earth Hour. The Town will also be powering down at all of its building and facilities on March 28 from 8:30 to 9:30 p.m.
Here are some tips on how to participate this year:
- Turn off all lights and power for one hour during Earth Hour.
- Share your powering-off stories with us using the hashtags #Connect2Earth and #NewmarketEarthHour on social media.
- Washing your hands frequently is an important step to protecting yourself against COVID-19. When you are applying soap to your hands and scrubbing for at least 20 seconds, don't forget to turn off the tap.
- Adjust your behavior by turning off the lights when you leave the room or turning off appliances when you do not need them.
- Continuing to reduce, reuse and recycle. Not all items belong in the garbage. Did you know that new products made from recycled materials use up to 30% less energy. If you aren't sure which items go where, visit newmarket.ca/wasteandrecycling to use the online Recycle Coach application.
- When you aren't using your computer or laptop, use sleep or hibernate mode to save energy. This can be activated through your computer's power settings.
- If you are watching TV, turn down the brightness of your TV.
- Use energy saving features available on your mobile phone.
- Warm your home naturally by opening blinds and windows during sunnier hours / days.
Join us for
#NewmarketEarthHour and be a part of our movement to make Newmarket even better!
More about Earth Hour
Each year, millions of people around the world switch off for Earth Hour to shine a light on climate action. Be a part of the movement towards building a better tomorrow for our planet and future generations. Take one hour to power down by shining a light on climate action and change climate change.
Climate change remains a big challenge for us all. But another urgent threat now demands our attention: the loss of nature. These two combined threats mean we must act - and now.
Starting as a symbolic lights out event in Sydney in 2007, WWF’s Earth Hour has grown to become the world's largest grassroots movement for the environment, inspiring individuals, communities, businesses and organizations in more than 180 countries and territories to take action for our shared home💪🌎 From our forests to our oceans, we have achieved many amazing things for our climate and its biodiversity - showing us that together, anything is possible.
Join the online conversation using #Connect2Earth and #NewmarketEarthHour and show your ❤️ for our 🌎. Let us know what you are doing to power down and shine a light on climate action by making Earth Hour 2020 in Newmarket the biggest one yet!
To learn more about Earth Hour, visit