Please note this event has been cancelled.
On Monday, December 21, 2020 it was announced that drive-in and drive-thru events will not be permitted during the province-wide lockdown starting December 26, 2020. We are tentatively rescheduling this event to take place on Family Day weekend (February 13-15, 2021 - exact date TBD) pending provincial guidelines at that time.
Ticket sales have been closed on newtix.ca. All tickets previously purchased will be honoured for the postponed drive-in fireworks event on Family Day weekend 2021. Ticket holders will receive an email on Wednesday, December 23, 2020 with some additional details and can email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or concerns.
The Tim Hortons for a Year contest will also be postponed until the time of the rescheduled event.
We apologize for the inconvience and hope everyone has a fun and safe New Year's Eve.
Date: Thursday, December 31, 2020
Time: Shows at 5:30 p.m. and 9 p.m.
Location: Ray Twinney Recreation Complex (100 Eagle Street West)
Cost: Registration is $5 per vehicle with all proceeds being donated to the Newmarket Food Panry. Please refer to the "Tickets" and "Registration" sections below for more information.
Join us on Thursday, December 31, 2020 to celebrate New Year’s Eve at our Tim Hortons First Night Fireworks Drive-in event.
From the safety of your vehicle, watch a dazzling 10 minute firework show, partially synced to a custom music mix. All attending vehicles can tune into 89.7FM for the full effect of the show.
This event is a drive-in only. No pedestrians are permitted. All vehicles must pre-register and present a ticket on site.
This year's condensed, altered activity will replace the traditional Tim Hortons First Night event due to COVID-19. The event is in compliance with Grey Zone COVID-19 Health and Safety Protocols.
Pre-registration is required for this event and tickets will be checked at arrival (printed or on a smartphone).
Show #1: 5:30 to 5:40 p.m.
Arrival time: 4 to 5:15 p.m.
Show #2: 9 to 9:10 p.m.
Arrival time: 7:30 to 8:45 p.m.
- Registration is $5 per vehicle with all proceeds being donated to the Newmarket Food Pantry.
- Registration is per vehicle. Please do NOT register everyone in the same vehicle individually.
- Due to limited spaces available, registration will be available to Newmarket residents only.
- Each vehicle can have as many people in the vehicle as legally permitted. All people in the same vehicle should be in the same social circle.
- All vehicles must be fully enclosed (e.g. no motorcycles or convertibles with the top down).
- There will be 2, 10 minute shows to choose from at the time of registration:
- Vehicles will be required to show their ticket at the event entrance (either printed or on a smart phone). Drop-ins (vehicle or pedestrian) will not be permitted.
Tim Hortons Coffee for a Year Contest
Courtesy of Tim Hortons, all who register will be entered into a draw for a CHANCE TO WIN Tim Hortons Coffee for a Year, awarding one vehicle per fireworks show.
Contest Terms and Conditions
As part of the Town of Newmarket’s First Night Fireworks event and it’s partnership with Tim Hortons, Tim Hortons Newmarket is providing each ticket holder the chance to win a Tim Hortons gift card with a value of $750 (“Tim Hortons Coffee for a Year”). Given that there are two scheduled firework display times (5:30 p.m. & 9:00 p.m.), one ticket holder per firework display time will be awarded Tim Hortons Coffee for a Year.
The Town of Newmarket has full discretion in applying the following criteria in awarding the two (one for each scheduled firework display) gift cards with value of $750 each (“Tim Hortons Coffee for a Year”):
• Ticket holders will automatically be entered into one of two randomly selected draws upon successfully registering for one of the firework displays scheduled at 5:30 p.m. or 9:00 p.m., on December 31, 2020.
• Registration will be available online through newmarket.ca/firstnight.
• Tickets are purchased per vehicle, NOT per person. Therefore, the ticket holder who registered on behalf of their respective vehicle and those attending from within that vehicle, will be awarded a Tim Hortons gift card with a value of $750 (“Tim Hortons Coffee for a Year”) should they be drawn as a winner.
• A ticket holder is only eligible to win the Tim Hortons Coffee for a Year prize once.
• To win, participants must be Newmarket residents who have reached the age of 18 years prior to December 31, 2020. Ticket holders must have not only purchase a ticket for the event but also attend the event on December 31, 2020 and have their ticket scanned at the event entrance. Employees of the Town of Newmarket and their consultants and consultant subcontractors are not eligible.
• Two Tim Hortons gift cards, each valuing $750 (“Tim Hortons Coffee for a Year”). One per winning ticket holder.
• Prizes must be claimed within two weeks (14 days) of the Town of Newmarket’s initial contact to each winner. Failure to claim a prize will result in a redraw where a Town of Newmarket staff will randomly draw another registered participant as winner on day 15.
PROCEDURE FOR AWARDING PRIZE(S)
• Town of Newmarket staff will contact each winner to notify them of their prize the week of January 4-8, 2021.
• The winner will accept their prize outside the Town of Newmarket’s Municipal Offices (395 Mulock Drive) at a date and time pre-arranged by a Town of Newmarket staff and the prize winner.
• The winner will be asked to participate in a photo at the time the winner claims their prize, for Town of Newmarket marketing purposes.
• When accepting their prizes, winners must answer a skill-testing question and show valid photo ID.
• If a winning player is determined to be under age 18, the prize will be awarded to the player’s parent or legal guardian, who must be 18 or older and answer the skill-testing question.
• By participating in this contest, players consent to the use of their name, voice, resemblance, photograph and/or image without compensation, whether online, in print, or in any other media, in connection with contest publicity and/or any aspect of the Town of Newmarket. Participants waive all rights, including moral rights, in this respect.
• By entering, participants release and hold harmless the Town of Newmarket and their officers, employees, council members and agents from any and all liability, claims, and actions of any kind arising from or in connection with the contest or any prize won.
• The prize must be accepted as is, and may not be exchanged. No substitutions will be allowed.
• For each random draw, the Town of Newmarket staff will use computer software to select a winning “ballot.” The Town of Newmarket shall assume no liability for losses, delays, errors, technical malfunction, damage or any other issue that may occur during collection or processing of contest “ballots” into the software.
• The Town of Newmarket reserves the right to withdraw, terminate, amend or suspend this contest at any time without notice. The published contest schedule and rules are subject to change at any time and without notice.
• The Town of Newmarket reserves the right to disqualify from this contest and any future contests or other promotions conducted by the Town of Newmarket, any individual that they find or believe to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the contest, to be acting in violation of the official rules or in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner, or with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person.
• Any contact information, such as phone number or email address, will not be kept on file or shared, and will be used solely for the purpose of contacting participants who have won the prize.
• Participation in this draw includes acceptance of these rules, which will be applied by Town of Newmarket. All decisions are final.
• This contest is subject to all applicable federal, provincial and municipal laws.
Event Information for Attendees
Click here to view a site map for the event
- All attendees should arrive by driving south on Eagle Street, to make a right-hand turn into the Ray Twinney Recreation Complex.
- Please have your ticket ready before arrival to ensure a quick scanning process.
- Attendees will be directed by parking attendants on site to a parking space. Spaces will fill up on a first-come, first serve basis. Vehicles arriving earlier will be directed closer to the fireworks in the southeast lot. Once that lot is full, we will be directing vehicles to park in the southwest lot.
- Once parked, tune into 89.7 FM.
Temporary Road Closure
- During the firework shows (5:20-5:45 p.m. and 8:55-9:15 p.m.), Eagle Street (between McCaffrey Road and Crossland Gate) will be closed to both eastbound and westbound traffic.
- Once the fireworks have finished, we ask that all vehicles remain parked until directed to leave by a parking attendant.
- Depening on where you have parked, you may be directed to exit the event onto Eagle Street or McCaffrey Road.
- Please remember to drive slowly and leave space between yourself and other vehicles.
If you would prefer to enjoy the fireworks show from the comfort of your home, you can check back to this webpage or the Town of Newmarket social media channels @TownofNewmarket by 7 p.m. on Thursday, December 31, 2020 for a full video recording of the first fireworks show.
- This event is compliant with all guidelines set out by the Provincial and Federal governments in addition to York Region Public Health for drive-thru events as outlined in Ontario Regulation 82/20
and the COVID-19 Response Framework: keeping Ontario safe and open
- Please note:
- Drive-in and drive-thru events are not subject to the gathering limit as long as the requirements in Schedule 2, Section 18 have been met.
- Workers on site do not count towards a gathering limit for a drive-thru event.
- All participants must remain in their vehicles at all times except if using the emergency washroom.
- A public port-a-potty is available on site however this should only be used for emergencies.
- Please do not attend the event if you are experiencing or have been in close contact with someone experiencing the signs and symptoms of COVID-19.
Photos from Tim Hortons First Night 2019 event:
Photo & Video Release
Media and Town of Newmarket staff will be taking photos and video footage at Town of Newmarket Special Events. These images may be used, re-used and published in news stories, social media and on websites, in addition to distributed to our event partners.
For more information, please email email@example.com or call Customer Service at (905) 895-5193.
Support Newmarket's green initiatives by walking, carpooling, or taking the bus.
For up-to-date weather and/or cancellation information for Town-run events, please call the PLAY Hotline 1-877-PLAY936, on the date of the event, two hours prior to the start time. Children under the age of 12 must be accompanied by an adult.