Trivia of the Week
Trivia of the Week
1. What is the only part of the body that has no blood supply?
2. How many bones are in the adult human body?
3. How long does it take (on average) for the human embryo to acquire fingerprints?
4. What is (approximately) the total weight of the bacteria in the human body?
5. How long does it take the stomach lining to replace itself?
Recipe of the Week
A Love Cake for Mother (Courtesy of Denise "the Cook" Cook
· 1 can of obedience
· Several pounds of love and affection
· 1 pint of neatness
· A pinch of holiday, birthday and everyday surprises
· 1 can of running errands (the willing brand)
· 1 box of laughter
· 1 bottle of keep it sunny all day long
· 1 can of pure thoughtfulness
· Mix well and pour with tender care into pan.
· Bake in a hearty, warm oven and serve to mother everyday.
· She ought to have it in big slices.
Happy Mother's Day Everyone!
Nova Scotia Seafood Chowder
· 8 Slices of Bacon, roughly chopped
· 1 Onion, chopped
· 1 Leek, chopped
· 3 Ribs of Celery, chopped
· 3 Potatoes, washed and chopped (I keep the skin on)
· 1 cup Corn (fresh or frozen)
· 1 cup Fish/clam or Vegetable Stock
· 1 cup Nova Scotia White Wine
· 2 cups 35% Cream
· 1 can Clams (add the juice too!)
· 3 tins Smoked Oysters (or a dozen fresh, shucked oysters)
· 1 lb Haddock or any fish you like
· 200 g Smoked Haddock
· 1 cup Coldwater Shrimp
· 1 tbsp Tarragon, chopped
· Salt & Pepper, to taste
· In a large pot, cook off the bacon with a little oil and add the onion, leek, celery and potato.
· Sweat for 5 minutes.
· Deglaze with the white wine and cook another 2 minutes.
· Add the stock and the liquid from the clams and cook for 1/2 hour until the vegetables are soft.
· Add in the smoked fish (cut up) and the white fish.
· Cook for another 10 minutes.
· Add the remaining ingredients and heat through.
· Season with salt and pepper and garnish with fresh dill.
Jokes of the Week
Paddy was in a hysterical state when he called the police. "Ociffer I just found a sandwich that has two strings hanging out of it! Oi tink it may be a bomb"
The Officer replied "Calm down paddy, was it ticking".
Paddy thought for a minute then replied, "No Ociffer I tink it was beef."
The Talking Horse
A talking horse walks into a bar and approaches the manager. "Excuse me, good sir," the horse says, "are you hiring?"
The manager looks the horse up and down and says, "Sorry, pal. Why don't you try the circus?"
The horse snickers. "Why would the circus need a bartender?
A Most Impressive Horse
A guy is walking through the country when he spots a sign that reads, "Talking Horse for Sale."
Intrigued, he walks up to the stable to check it out.
"So what have you done with your life?" he asks the horse.
"I've led a full life," the horse answers miraculously. "I was born in The Andes where I herded for an entire village. Years later, I joined the mounted police force in New York and helped keep the city clean. And now, I spend my days giving free rides to underprivileged kids here in the country."
The guy is flabbergasted.
He asks the horse's owner, "Why on earth would you want to get rid of such an incredible animal?"
The owner says, "Because he's a liar! He never did any of that!"
Word Search, Sudoku & Crossword
Click here to download the Word Search, Sudoku & Crossword sheets
DC's "Home" Work Challenge – Week #2
This week's challenge is to come up with as many slang words or alternate names for the word "Home" as you can. Denise didn't have time to pass along any hints on this one either, as she had to run and give her "humble abode" a good cleaning.
p.s. Do not send me your list. This is a personal challenge, should you choose to accept it.
REBUS answers at the bottom.
Virtual Tours & Entertainment
Toronto Zoo – Live View of Gorillas
You can take a virtual ride on over a dozen coasters, 11 thrill rides and 7 family rides with the first person "point of view" videos. Most popular are the Yukon Striker and Leviathan.
Bonus… no height restrictions to any of these rides! Enjoy
2020 Operation Inspiration RCAF Snowbird Flyover Schedule
Canadian Snowbirds launch a series of Flyovers across Canada. A salute to all Canadians working to control the COVID 19 coronavirus pandemic.
Prevention of Elder Abuse Committee of York Region
The Prevention of Elder Abuse Committee of York Region is extending an invitation to older adults in the York Region community to join our upcoming virtual meeting being held on Friday May 15th, at 10am.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to register and receive the zoom link or toll free number and meeting ID.
Wellness Together Canada: Mental Health and Substance Use Support
We recognize the significant strain that COVID-19 has placed on individuals and families across the country. Many people are concerned about their physical and mental well being. Canadians are being challenged in a number of ways because of isolation, financial and employment uncertainty and disruptions to daily life. Wellness Together Canada provides tools and resources to help Canadians get back on track. These include modules for addressing low mood, worry, substance use, social isolation and relationship issues.
O'Malley's Catering, Newmarket
O'Malley's has adapted their business due to COVID19 and has a variety of options for people to consider. Click on the links below to access some of their items currently offered, including essential groceries, Meal Kits, Meat Kits, Snack Kits, etc.
Walmart Canada - New Grocery Option
Walmart Canada announces a new safe and efficient way for seniors, people with disabilities and customers with vulnerable health conditions to get their groceries.
Now these customers can place an order and schedule a time for pickup or delivery with a Walmart Customer Service Representative over the phone.
Call the Walmart Customer Service Team at 1-800-328-0402
This new service will be available at all stores that currently offer grocery pickup and delivery.
COVID-19 Art Contest
While we are all isolated, I bet many artists are creating a number of wonderful pieces. As many of you know, we have a Wall Art Display Program at the NSMP, and when we do get back into the centre, I'd like to invite artists to help create a special exhibition, which features works of art inspired by the COVID19 pandemic. With that in mind, if you are interested, please plan to participate. Please email me pictures of completed works, which I will include in future bulletins.
1. Cornea of the eye
3. 3 months
4. 2 kg.
5. 3-4 days
1) One step forward, two steps back 2) Ready to go 3) Fishing for compliments 4) Third time lucky 5) An inside job 6) Reading between the lines 7) A misunderstanding between friends 8) Safety in numbers 9) Mashed potatoes 10) Foreign film