Updated December 21, 2020 – Effective December 26, 2020:
On December 21, 2020 and effective December 26, 2020 Premier Ford announced Province-wide lockdown restrictions effective December 26, 2020 for a minimum of 28 days or until further notice. All previously noted changes below pertaining to Grey Zone restrictions and protocols in York Region remain in effect.
Previously, on Friday, December 11, 2020 and effective December 14, 2020 Premier Ford announced that York Region, including Newmarket, will be entering 'lockdown' (grey zone) of the Province's COVID-19 Response Framework.
In response to this announcement, all Town of Newmarket buildings, facilities and in-person programs will be closed/cancelled as of Tuesday, December 26 with the exception of the Newmarket Public Library.
Recreation facilities and in-person drop in programming will resume operation pending further COVID-19 developments and in accordance with all health and safety regulations as outlined by the Province and York Region Health. This announcement does not impact or cancel any VIRTUAL programs currently running.
Outdoor skating at Riverwalk Commons will be open as scheduled, with strict health and safety measures and capacity limits in place. Participants are required to pre-book their skate time in advance, learn more at newmarket.ca/riverwalkcommons
Newmarket trails, parks and playgrounds will remain open and residents are encouraged to use them while following all health and safety measures as outlined by the province.
The Municipal Offices (395 Mulock Drive), Robert N. Shelton Operation Centre (1275 Maple Hill Court) and Central York Fire Services (CYFS) remain closed to the public for in-person services. We continue to offer alternative ways to serve the community.
For more information, please contact Customer Service: email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 905-895-5193.
Skate Park - large indoor Sk8 Park with 10,000 square feet of ledges, stairs, rails, gaps, boxes, banks, custom ramps, a wall ride with five feet of vert and a 32 foot wide mini-ramp.
What's Currently Closed at the RYC
- Games Area - pool table, tabletop shuffleboard, air hockey tables, foosball, table tennis, large screen TV, Video Game System, WiFi, and assorted board games.
Skate Park FAQ's:
Before Attending the Skate Park FAQ's:
Do I need to reserve my spot ahead of time or can I show up onsite?
All spots will be for reservation online only. No walk in spots will be available. Please reserve your spot online prior to arriving at the Skate Park.
The skate park will operate in 1 hour and 15 minute age specific sessions – please see Age Conversion Chart below.
What is the cost to use the Skate Park?
A $5 drop in fee will be charged per session. Please note: Participants will be required to pay the session fee online prior to arrival. Pre-purchased Skate passes are not available to be used or purchased at this time. Please be on time! If participants do not show up within 20 minutes of scheduled timeslot, spot may be given to a waitlist participant.
How many spots are available for each timeslot?
To assist with physical distancing, capacity will be limited to 10 riders per timeslot.
When can I register for a time slot?
Registration will open on Fridays for the week following.
Are Spectators Permitted on site?
As of Saturday November 7, 1 parent per rider can remain in the lobby onsite in a designated seating area. Each space will be cleaned and disinfected between sessions.
Hours of Operation
Hours of Operation Tuesday, September 8 until further notice
- Tuesday to Friday
- 4 to 8:15 p.m. Daily
- Age specific – please see Age Conversion Chart below
- 4 to 5:15 p.m. – Ages 12 Years & Under
- 5:15 to 5:30 p.m. – Closed for cleaning
- 5:30 to 6:45 p.m. – 10 to 15 Years Old
- 6:45 to 7 p.m. – Closed for cleaning
- 7 to 8:15 p.m. – 13 Years & Older
- 1 to 2:15 p.m. – Ages 12 Years & Under
- 2:15 to 2:30 p.m. – Closed for cleaning
- 2:30 to 3:45 p.m. – 10 to 15 Years Old
- 3:45 to 4 p.m. – Closed for cleaning
- 4 to 5:15 p.m. 10 to 15 Years Old
- 5:15 to 6 p.m. – Closed for cleaning
- 6 to 7:15 p.m. – Ages 13 Years & Older
What you need to do when using our facilities
- Physical distancing of 2 metres is required at all times.
- All participants and staff are to follow the provincial self-assessment guidelines outlined by public health officials
- All participants and parents will be screened upon entry to the Recreation Youth Centre & Skate Park.
- Sanitize your hands frequently.
- Face coverings are required upon entry to the facility. Face coverings can be removed only while riding.
- Identified entry and exit points as indicated by signage and markers must be followed.
- All participants must follow the number of riders per element outlined within the park.
- For the safety of everyone, anyone not following rules or staff direction will be asked to leave.
What we are doing to keep you safe
- Facility will close between timeslots for cleaning of high-touch points, washrooms and spectator areas. All participants must leave the building during this time.
- Hand sanitizing stations will be made available at the entrance and accessible throughout the facility.
- All staff will be required to wear a mask .
- Protective barriers have been installed at designated locations.
- Signage to direct the flow of traffic and encourage physical distancing will be posted.
- Washrooms are open for emergency purposes only.
- Water fountains will be available for bottle filling only.
Reserve your spot online before heading to the Skate Park. Click here:
When using the Skate Park the following equipment is:
Face covering while entering the facility until time of activity
Scooter, skateboard or roller blades. (Not permitted: Bicycles, longboards, and RipStiks)
Skateboard helmet, multi-sport helmet or hockey helmet (Not permitted: Bike helmets)
Closed toe shoes
FAQs – You've asked, we've answered
I have a membership to the Recreation Youth Centre? Will I be able to use this in future?
Yes. All Memberships have been put on hold and will be re-instated when the RYC can open in full capacity
I have passes on my account to visit the skate park? Will I be able to use this in future?
Yes, passes do not expire. Participants will be required to pay the session fee online prior to arrival. Pre-purchased Skate passes are not available to be used or purchased at this time but will be ready for you to use when we return to regular operation.
Can I volunteer at the RYC?
During regular operation, we have many volunteer opportunities. Currently due to the COVID-19 pandemic we will not be accepting volunteers at this time.
When will the remaining amenities in the facility open?
Age Conversion Chart
Click the link for a printable Age Conversion Chart
16 to 17
15 to 16
14 to 15
13 to 14
12 to 13
11 to 12
10 to 11
9 to 10
|2011||8 to 9||N||N||Y|
|2012||7 to 8||N||N||Y|
|2013||6 to 7||N||N||Y|
|2014||5 to 6||N||N||Y|
|2015||4 to 5||N||N||Y|
|2016||Has turned 4||N||N||Y|
Assumption of Risk
The Town of Newmarket in collaboration with York Region Public Health, continue to monitor the COVID-19 situation. Users of the Town of Newmarket facilities, buildings and/or amenities are reminded that the facilities, buildings and/or amenities are open for use at your own risk. An inherent risk of exposure to communicable diseases including COVID-19 exists in any public space where people are present. By visiting any Town of Newmarket facility, building and/or amenity you voluntarily assume all risks including any risk of injury, loss, damage, and possible exposure to a communicable disease including COVID-19. We remind you to follow the COVID-19 precautionary guidelines being recommended by various Canadian health authorities including the York Region Public Health Unit, Ontario Health and Public Health Agency of Canada
For the most up-to-date information on what's open and closed, visit newmarket.ca/reopen or follow us on social media @TownofNewmarket on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
During the COVID-19 pandemic, there may be program disruptions, changes and facility closures. We continue to offer alternative ways to serve the community. Learn about Newmarket's approach to reopening and for current information and resources. For any inquiries, please email email@example.com.