On May 2, the Town of Newmarket's GIS (Geospatial and Information Systems) team within the Information Technology department was presented with the Best Web GIS- Geospatial and Information Services Award from BeSpatial Ontario at their annual BeSpatial conference. Newmarket was awarded the Best Web GIS platform for its Navigate Newmarket and SOGIS (internal mapping program) that was released last year.
"Congratulation to Newmarket staff on being recognized for having the best Web GIS platform for our Navigate Newmarket map app, and our internal mapping system," says Mayor John Taylor. "This award reinforces the Town's commitment to innovation, and to improve the resident experience using technology as noted in Council priorities. I encourage everyone to check out the Navigate Newmarket map app where you can find locations of parks and trails, parking lots, recreation facilities, landmarks and more."
The new and improved Navigate Newmarket was released in November 2022 to provide access to a revamped public map viewer and an integrated open data webpage.
Navigate Newmarket includes the following components:
- Navigate Newmarket Public Map
- Historical orthoimagery slider
- Integrated access to open data layers
- An improved user interface, fast-loading speeds, and advanced search options on data layers
- Newmarket's Census Profile featuring the average age, household size, total private dwellings, household income and more.
- Apps and Maps
- Library of all the map applications for various Town initiatives such as:
- Council Strategic Priorities
- Locate my Plow (Track Newmarket's snow plow crews)
- Traffic Calming Measures around Town
- Current Planning Applications
- Choose Local Directory (featuring Newmarket businesses) and more!
- Open Data
- A revamped website with open access to authoritative Town data
- Advanced search options allowing users to browse by theme or category
- The option to download data in a variety of formats
Also available are printable maps and access to all of the Town's GIS apps.
Explore Newmarket and access Navigate Newmarket at newmarket.ca/maps Background: About the Best Web GIS - Geospatial and Information Services Award
The Best Web GIS award is presented to organizations that have demonstrated advanced online mapping capabilities including analytics, technology, software and visualization that enable publishing and sharing of geospatial and information services through the integration and/ or improvement in delivery of services of multiple business systems. What is GIS?
A geographic information system (GIS) is a system that creates, manages,
analyzes and maps all types of data. The Town has been using GIS technology for
20 years and with interactive mapping, users can find addresses, Town
facilities, determine wards and waste collection days, measure the length of a
trail, or view development information such as zoning or active