Town of Newmarket Council approved a 2.2 per cent tax increase, combined with 0.75 per cent for asset replacement for a total 2.95 per cent tax increase (Town portion) for the 2019 Operating and Capital Budgets for the Town of Newmarket
, Newmarket Public Library (NPL)
and Central York Fire Services (CYFS)
at the March 4 Council Meeting.
Based on an average property assessment value of approximately $607,000, residents will see an increase of $58 on the Town portion of their tax bill, a water/wastewater rate increase of $58 (5.10 per cent) and a stormwater rate increase of $4 (11.8 per cent).Highlights from the 2019 budget include:
- $2.4 million towards trails and active transportation
- $1 million for replacement of bridges and culverts
- $4.8 million for completion of CYFS Station 4-5
- $6.6 million for road rehabilitation
- $1.7 million for fleet replacement
- $1.6 million for road resurfacing
- $150,000 for Mulock Farm will be put into reserves for future use
The total approved 2019 Operating Budget is $130.8 million and the Capital Budget is $27.7 million, with a combined total of $158.5 million.
For more information related to the 2019 Budget, visit newmarket.ca/2019budget