Tips to reduce encounters with coyotes
Created: Tuesday, June 25, 2019
The Town of Newmarket has been made aware of unusual coyote sightings in the community. To prevent encounters and ensure that you, your family and pets remain safe, please consider the following tips in mind:
- Remove any food attractants, including birdseed and ripe/rotted fruit that has fallen to the ground in your yard. Do not feed coyotes or leave any type of food outdoors for any animal, even you pets (i.e. dog/cat food)
- Store all garbage in tightly sealed containers; ensure compost and pet food are in a place that coyotes cannot access. This will deter coyotes as well as other animals and rodents from becoming a problem
- Use motion sensitive lights in yards or gardens to make your property less attractive to coyotes and other nocturnal wildlife
- Ensure spaces around/ under decks or sheds are closed off
- Remember to never leave children unattended
- Educate your children to not approach or harass any wild animals or unfamiliar domestic pets and to admire wildlife from afar.
- Never let your pet run at large, keep your pet on a leash when walking and confined to a fenced yard on your property.
- Clean up after your dog - coyotes are attracted to dog feces
- Do not feed coyotes or leave any type of food outdoors for any animal, even you pets (i.e. dog/cat food)
- Be sure to report a coyote sighting using our online feature at newmarket.ca/coyotesighting
- Learn more about coyotes, including how to deal with coyote problems, by calling the Ministry of Natural Resources office at 905-713-7400. If the coyote poses an immediate threat or danger to public safety, please call 911 to alert York Regional Police.