November 9, 2017
Lion's Park Wetland Construction and Channel Reconstruction - Completed
The Town is pleased to inform you that the Lion’s Park Wetland Construction and Channel Reconstruction project has been completed
Please view the concept drawing for the Lions Park Wetland for more information.
Lion’s Park Wetland Construction and Channel Reconstruction Project, Limit of Construction Map
The scope of the project included:
* Rehabilitation of the watercourse including clean out, widening and profile adjustments
* Development of an approximately 2,000 m2 wetland within the west portion of Lion’s Park including plantings, signage and boardwalk
* Placement of the excavated material within the east portion of the park to reduce flooding and increase usable recreational space within the park
* Landscaping improvements to the park
* Connecting existing path on Timothy Street to D’Arcy Street by constructing a new asphalt walkway within the park
These improvements provide an opportunity to improve surface water quality and fish and wildlife habitat within D’Arcy Creek, between Lorne Avenue and Church Street as well.
Notice of Study Completion
August 18, 2016
Lions Park Drainage Improvements
The Town of Newmarket has completed a Schedule 'B' Municipal Class Environmental Assessment (EA) study to examine the opportunity to improve surface water drainage and create recreational space within Lions Park as well as wildlife habitat within D'Arcy Creek. In general, the EA study recommends the following:
- Rehabilitation of the watercourse including clean out, widening, profile adjustments and riparian buffers.
- Development of an approximately 2,000 m2 wetland within the west portion of Lions Park including plantings, signage and walkway.
- Placement of the excavated material within the east portion of the park to reduce flooding.
This EA study was carried out in accordance with the requirements for Schedule 'B' projects as outlined in the Municipal Class EA document, as amended in 2015. The EA process includes consultation with members of the public, agencies and other stakeholders, as well as the identification of problems and opportunities, the evaluation of alternatives and the identification of measures to mitigate the potential impacts of the project.
Current Status: Project Completed
Work Completed: Drainage Improvements.
Information: Public Information Centre Notice - May 18, 2016