Proclamations and Lighting Requests
The Town has a new process for accepting requests from individuals and organizations requesting that the Town issue a proclamation for a particular event.
Requests for the Town to proclaim a specific day, week, or month to acknowledge efforts, commitments and achievements of organizations and community groups and to recognize public awareness campaigns, charitable fundraising campaigns and arts celebrations of significance to the Town are now being accepted online.
In addition, an individual or an organization can request that the Riverwalk Commons and the Fred A. Lundy Bridge (located on Water Street) be illuminated in a particular colour to commemorate the event. Please note that the lights are only visible during the evening hours, which may vary depending on the time of year.
To submit a proclamation or lighting request complete this application form. Submit your request 3 weeks in advance of the date of your request. Please do not submit your request more than 3 months in advance.
In accordance with the Council-approved Policy, in order for a proclamation or lighting request to be approved, it must fall into one of the below categories:
- Public Awareness Campaign
- Charitable Fundraising Event
- Arts and Culture Celebration
- Honoring individual(s), institution(s) or organization(s) for special achievements
Proclamation or lighting requests for the following categories will not be approved:
- Political parties or political organizations
- Promotion of business or commercial enterprise
- Matters inciting hatred, or those that are discriminatory
- Intent contrary to corporate policies or by-laws
- Intent is to defame the integrity of the Town, Ontario or Canada
- Matters which are untruthful
Approved proclamation and lighting requests will be advertised in Town's section in the Newmarket Era, listed on this page of the Town's website and communicated to the public through social media.
Should you wish to invite the Mayor or a Member of Council to attend an event related to a proclamation or lighting request, please contact their offices directly.
If you wish to address Members of Council at a Council or Committee of the Whole Meeting, you may do so by making a deputation.
List of Approved Proclamation and Lighting Requests 2018:
- Cycle Month in Newmarket - June 2018
- National Deafblind Awareness Month - June 2018
- York Region Pride Week - June 8-17, 2018
- Pollinator Week - June 18 -24, 2018
- Prostate Cancer Awareness Month - September 2018
- Polycystic Kidney Disease (PKD) Awareness Day - September 4, 2018
- Terry Fox Week - September 10 - 16, 2018
- Recovery Day - September 21, 2018
- National Coaches Week - September 22- 30, 2018
- 6th International Trigeminal Neuralgia Day - October 7, 2018
- Child Care Worker & Early Childhood Educators Appreciation Day - October 16, 2018
- English as a Second Language Week - October 28 - November 3, 2018
- Newmarket Municipal Election Voting Days - October 13 - October 22, 2018
- Toastmasters' Month - October 2018
- Learning Disabilities Awareness Month - October 2018
- Children's Grief Awareness Day - November 15, 2018
- World Prematurity Day - November 17, 2018