In 2018, the Town partnered with MDB Insight to gauge resident satisfaction with existing services and level of engagement with the community by conducting a telephone survey. A sample of 808 Newmarket residents provided feedback on Town services and local government. Key findings from the survey indicate that:
- 95 per cent of residents surveyed are satisfied with Newmarket as a place to live.
- 82 per cent of Newmarket residents surveyed are satisfied with municipal government. This statistic is at an all-time high, extending the upward trend which began in 2014.
- 85 per cent of residents surveyed felt they were receiving at least fair value for their tax dollars and user fees spent in support of Town services.
- Four-out-of-five residents surveyed are satisfied with overall service levels provided by the Town, particularly in quality of service delivery.
- Very large increases in satisfaction levels were seen in several service areas around the organization..
The survey incorporated a Citizen Engagement Index which looks at residents' levels of engagement in the community. The Index included questions asking residents if they would recommend Newmarket as a place to live, if they plan to reside in Newmarket for the foreseeable future and if they often get involved in community activities. Results from the 2018 survey are consistent from 2014 with an overall rating of 72 per cent. These results will be used as a benchmark to determine how the Town can help raise levels of engagement amongst residents in the future.