TOWN OF NEWMARKET The Choose Local Photo Contest [“#ChooseNewmarket Contest”] begins on Monday, November 23, 2020, and ends at 11:59 p.m. on Monday, December 21, 2020.
Participants will have two ways to enter - either through Social Media (Twitter or Instagram) or by email. Participants must submit an original photo of how they “choose local” and “choose Newmarket” leading up to the holidays. As visiting businesses in-person may be a challenge in the COVID-19 landscape, participants are encouraged to get creative in their photo of showing how they support local businesses in Newmarket and why they think it matters, while following public health guidelines.
Steps to Enter
- Support a business within the Town of Newmarket
Choose Local Directory by purchasing local gifts, ordering takeout, purchasing a gift card or otherwise showing your support for buying local.
- Take a photo showing how you support that Newmarket business. Photo eligibility outlined below.
- Post your photo on Social Media (Twitter or Instagram) OR send your photo in by email.
- For social media entries:
- Follow the Town of Newmarket @TownofNewmarket.
- In the caption, please include the business name and tag them if applicable.
- You must tag us @TownofNewmarket, Newmarket Chamber of Commerce (@NMKT on Twitter, @NewmarketChamber on Instagram) and use the #ChooseNewmarket hashtag.
Although not required for eligibility, we encourage you to share why you chose to support that business or why choosing local and choosing Newmarket matters to you.
- For email entries: Please send your photo (max file size 2MB) as a JPG or PNG file to
firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Choose Local Contest - [Insert Business Name]. You must include the business name and your name to be entered.
Multiple entries are allowed as long as each photo entry is unique. You may post about the same business as long as each photo entry shows a different subject or angle.
Photos selected in a random draw will be reviewed for eligibility, and Town of Newmarket staff will contact the winners.Photo Eligibility
The Town of Newmarket has full discretion in applying the following criteria to judging photos received in the #ChooseNewmarket Contest:
- An entry must show items purchased from a local business or otherwise show support for local business between Monday, November 23, 2020, to Monday, December 21, 2020
- A participant may enter multiple photos from the same or different businesses, as long as each photo entry shows a different subject or angle, it will be considered as a separate entry.
- Items purchased online and delivered via curbside pickup or a local porch drop are eligible.
- Photos must not contain negative or obscene gestures, symbols or words, or show illegal behaviour.
The following prizes are available as part of the #ChooseNewmarket Contest:
- Three grand prize random draws for vouchers valued at $500 each ("Prize Voucher"), to be spent in any of the businesses found in "Featured Gifts" in the Newmarket Choose Local Directory.
- One random draw for an autographed Connor McDavid jersey donated by Connor McDavid.
Three secondary prize random draws for Upper Canada Mall gift cards valued at $100 each.
The random draws will include all eligible photos posted during the contest [November 24 to December 21 inclusive], and the winning photos will be selected the week the contest ends.
Prizes winners must complete the prize declaration by January 14, 2021 or will otherwise forfeit their prize.
Prizes must be collected from the Town of Newmarket at a mutually agreed upon time and place by no later than January 31, 2021. The Town reserves the right to amend this deadline past January 31, 2021 based on public health measures due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Prize amounts include taxes, tips, or other expenses incurred while redeeming the voucher.
Prize Voucher amounts cannot be used to purchase gift cards/certificates of businesses that are not in the Newmarket Choose Local Directory’s Featured Gifts.
Alcohol and tobacco products cannot be purchased with prize vouchers won as part of the grand prize.Eligibility for #ChooseNewmarket Contest
To win, players must be Ontario residents who have reached age 18 prior to November 24, 2020. Employees of the Town of Newmarket, the Newmarket Chamber of Commerce, and their consultants and consultant subcontractors are not eligible to play. Procedure for awarding prizes in #ChooseNewmarket Contest
TOWN OF NEWMARKET staff will contact contest winners to notify them of their prize.
Players will accept their prize outside the business location where their photo was taken, at a date and time pre-arranged by the player, a TOWN OF NEWMARKET staff, and the business.
When accepting their prizes, winners must answer a skill-testing question, show valid photo ID and sign a standard Declaration and Release Form. The Declaration and Release form confirms compliance with the contest rules, acceptance of the prize as awarded, and releases TOWN OF NEWMARKET, and their officers, employees, council members and agents from any and all liability, claims, and actions of any kind arising from or in connection with the contest and the receipt, ownership or use of the prize.
If a winning player is determined to be under age 18, the prize will be awarded to the player’s parent or legal guardian, who must be 18 or older, answer the skill-testing question, and sign the Declaration and Release form mentioned in the preceding paragraph.General rules for #ChooseNewmarket Contest
- By participating in this contest, players consent to the use of their name, voice, resemblance, photograph and/or image without compensation, whether online, in print, or in any other media, in connection with contest publicity and/or any aspect of the TOWN OF NEWMARKET. Players waive all rights, including moral rights, in this respect. In the interests of privacy, the TOWN OF NEWMARKET will not share publicly any photo submitted as part of this contest which includes, or appears to include, any secondary person who may have been included in the photo without their permission.
- By entering, players release and hold harmless THE TOWN OF NEWMARKET and their officers, employees, council members and agents from any and all liability, claims, and actions of any kind arising from or in connection with the contest or any prize won.
- No purchase is required to enter in the #ChooseNewmarket Contest. To enter without making a purchase, submit your name, how you are supporting local and your contact info to
- The prize must be accepted as is, and may not be exchanged. No substitutions will be allowed.
- For each random draw, the TOWN OF NEWMARKET staff will use computer software to select a winning “ballot.” The TOWN OF NEWMARKET shall assume no liability for losses, delays, errors, technical malfunction, damage or any other issue that may occur during collection or processing of contest “ballots” into the software.
- THE TOWN OF NEWMARKET reserves the right to withdraw, terminate, amend or suspend this contest at any time without notice. The published contest schedule and rules are subject to change at any time and without notice.
- The TOWN OF NEWMARKET reserves the right to disqualify from this contest and any future contests or other promotions conducted by the TOWN OF NEWMARKET, any individual that they find or believe to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the contest, to be acting in violation of the official rules or in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner, or with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person.
- Any contact information, such as phone number or email address, will not be kept on file or shared, and will be used solely for the purpose of contacting players who have won the contest.
- Participation in this contest includes acceptance of these rules, which will be applied by TOWN OF NEWMARKET. All decisions are final.
- This contest is subject to all applicable federal, provincial and municipal laws.