The Town of Newmarket has been recently made aware of a string of door-to-door sales people, business and telemarketers in the community misrepresenting Newmarket staff for utility services (water, heat, energy and gas).
The Town of Newmarket does not conduct door-to-door sales. The Town will only contact residents on a previous inquiry or to follow-up on a previously scheduled appointment.
If you suspect fraud please contact the York Regional Police's non-emergency line at 1-866-876-5423. If you feel threatened, call 911
The following are some tactics used by door-to-door salesmen in Newmarket when visiting residents.
- Identifying themselves as Newmarket or Government Employees and providing identification license of some sort.
- Ask to enter your home to check utilities or to test your water.
- Advising the water in your community is contaminated with high levels of copper.
- Offering options on Government rebate programs that would install a series of water filters.
If Town of Newmarket staff visit your home for various reasons, they will have proper Town of Newmarket identification and typically be in an official Town of Newmarket vehicle. If a contractor hired by the Town of Newmarket visits your home, they will typically have the Town's logo on their attire, and carry Newmarket business cards. If you are unsure, please contact the Town of Newmarket at 905-895-5193.
How can I protect myself against door-to-door sales people?
- Familiarize yourself with the Ontario Consumers Protection Act.
- This act will guide residents on their rights to cancel any contracts signed.
- File a compliaint against the business.