* Applications are now available for the Mobile Businesses listed below *
On March 3, 2020 the Town of Newmarket passed a by-law requiring mobile businesses to obtain a license to operate within the Town. Licenses will be required by business owners, not individual drivers (with the exception of driving school instructors). As of April 1, 2020 all applications for mobile business licensing are available.
Completed applications can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mobile businesses include:
- Taxicab Companies
- Transportation Network Companies (e.g. Uber, Lyft)
- Tow Truck Companies
- Driving School Instructors
- Refreshment Vehicles (e.g. ice cream trucks, hot dog carts)
- Limousine Companies
- General Businesses
A mobile business is not:
- A stall at a farmer's market
- A business which uses a vehicle only as a way to transport its goods/services to a customer (e.g. a courier)
- Any other form of business that is restricted from regulation by a Municipality under the Municipal Act.
What's next for mobile businesses?
Applications for Mobile Business Licences are now available as of April 1, 2020. However, rules and regulations came into effect on March 2, 2020. Courtesy reminders will be provided during the implementation process to ensure all business owners are aware of the changes.
Note for Driving School Instructors: if you obtained your license in September 2019, you will not be required to renew your license per the updated requirements until January 1, 2021. You will still be required to comply with the new rules and regulations.
What are the by-laws?
One new Mobile Business Licence By-Law 2020-07 will govern all mobile businesses, including the taxicabs, refreshment vehicles and driving instructors which were previously covered under individual by-laws. The Fees and Charges By-law outlines the annual licensing and renewal fees.
The following by-laws have been repealed:
- Taxi By-law 2017-31
- Refreshment Vehicles By-law 2016-52
- Driving School Instructors By-law 2019-62
Questions? Please contact email@example.com