The Town of Newmarket staff regularly monitor the weather, perform maintenance on our fleet to ensure we are snow ready and to keep our roads and sidewalks safe.
See below to learn more about the Town's snow procedures:
- First snow response is to salt the roads and takes four to five hours to complete the Town
- The Town starts to plow Newmarket roads when snow accumulates over 6 cm. Roads are classified into two categories – primary and secondary roads. Primary roads are completed first these are major routes for traffic, schools and emergency vehicle
- It takes approximately 8-10 hours to plow/clear the Town; 12 hours and longer, if snow continues to fall
- Priority/designated roads are completed first - these are major routes for traffic and emergency vehicles
- Brown mailboxes (usually in newer subdivisions) are cleared by Canada Post
- Bus shelters and stops are the responsibility of York Region Transit
- Property owners are responsible for clearing snow and ice from sidewalks fronting and abutting their properties.
Newmarket aims to clear all sidewalks in Town. Please remember:
- Do not push snow into the streets or sidewalks
- Do not put waste and recycling bins on the street or sidewalk
- Do not park your cars on the street as this interferes with snow plowing operations
- Please report damages to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please respect our snow operators
For more information visit: