Starting this week, crews will begin utility relocation work at Timothy Street and Doug Duncan Drive in downtown Newmarket as part of the GO Expansion on the Barrie line. From January 23 until mid-February there will be very little impact and disruption to the downtown area. Work in this area, as part of phase one, is scheduled to be completed by April 2023.
NT Power is working closely with Metrolinx to undertake this work and will be relocating existing electricity distribution lines across the railway tracks at multiple locations in Newmarket. The construction at the Timothy Street north railway crossing will be completed in phases throughout 2023.
What to expect beginning on January 23, 2023
- From January 23 to February 19, the contractor will require 3 – 4 parking spaces along Doug Duncan Drive. See below parking map for various parking options in the downtown area.
- It is anticipated there will be minimal disruption to the area during this time period.
What to expect beginning on February 20, 2023
- Construction activity will begin to ramp up starting on February 20
- Fencing will be added to the area along Doug Duncan Drive and the far east end of the P3 parking (just to the north of Riverwalk Commons)
- Approximately 60 parking spots will be impacted by the construction from February 20 until this phase wraps up in April. The Town is working on additional parking accommodations in downtown Newmarket and will provide details as soon as possible. Please see the map below for an overview of all parking options in downtown Newmarket, including the All Our Kids Play Park (535 Timothy Street), steps away from Doug Duncan Drive/Riverwalk Commons.
- There will be a one lane closure on Doug Duncan Drive with traffic flowing southbound only. The P3 parking lot (see map below) will be accessed via Cedar Street.
Phases two and three of this project are scheduled for fall 2023 and information about these phases will be shared as details are finalized.
In addition to the Timothy Street north railway crossing, work is also underway at the Mulock Drive South railway crossing and construction will be starting in February at the Green Lane South railway crossing. The community can expect some construction-related noise and limited access to sidewalks and paths in the direct areas of construction. Every effort will be made to minimize disruption as much as possible.
Planned power outages may occur during construction as hydro wires are being relocated. In that case, NT Power will notify all residents and businesses that will be affected in advance.
This construction is part of a large Go Expansion project to expand service providing better, more frequent service, cleaner technology and transforming GO Transit to bring more frequent two-way, all-day service to the Barrie line. The Barrie Go line expansion will provide easier ways to seamlessly get the community where they need to go.
For more information on the Go Expansion work in Newmarket please contact Giuliana Ferraro, Community Engagement and Issues Specialist, Metrolinx at [email protected]