The Town of Newmarket is updating its Official Plan that will guide how Newmarket should develop over the next 30 years. As part of the process, community engagement is a very important component. Members of the public are encouraged to follow the progress and participate in upcoming engagement opportunities to have their say about the future of their Town.
The updated official plan will describe:
- Where housing, office, manufacturing facilities, shops, and parks can be located
- What infrastructure, road network, and energy resources are required/encouraged as the Town grows
- Which areas of Town should be protected and/or enhanced and more!
“An Official Plan is our community blueprint for a complete, sustainable, and well-planned community. Please take this opportunity to have your say and provide us with your thoughts. Your input will help us revise existing policies, create new ones, manage growth and protect greenspace in order to support an innovative and forward-thinking community.” says Mayor John Taylor. With a new updated Official Plan, we will be better equipped to guide land use and development to ensure our Town continues to be one of the best places to live, work and play.”
Members of the public can participate in the following upcoming Official Plan Review engagement opportunities:
- Follow the progress of the Official Plan Review on the engagement project page at heynewmarket.ca/newmarketop
- Tune into the Statutory Public Planning Meeting about the Official Plan update on Monday, May 15 at 1 p.m. at the Municipal Offices or streamed live at newmarket.ca/meetings
- Members of the public can submit their written comments or speak to Council during this meeting. Those interested can do so by emailing [email protected] or by calling 905-953-5300 ext. 2203.
- Participate in the Official Plan Update Visioning Exercise that is set to take place on June 12 from 6:30 to 8 p.m. virtually. At this exercise, tell us about your thoughts on complete communities and how would you prioritize matters such as growth, housing, climate change, transportation, and more. What do you envision Newmarket to look like in 30 years? Those interested in participating in the exercise can email [email protected]
To learn more about the project, visit heynewmarket.ca/newmarketop
What is an official plan?
An Official Plan is a policy document that guides how land in a municipality should be used. It mainly describes what types of uses can be located where; what infrastructure or services are required to build a community, and what the Town wants to preserve. Official Plans are reviewed every five years and a larger comprehensive update is undertaken every 10 years. Newmarket's updated Official Plan must be consistent with or conforms to Provincial planning documents and the York Region Official Plan.