The Town reminds residents to stay safe and drive according to road conditions. Newmarket's snow crews are ready for the winter season.
The Town is responsible for clearing 624 km of local roads and 302 km of sidewalks in Newmarket. Regional roads (Yonge Street, Mulock Drive, Bayview Avenue, Leslie Street and Davis Drive) are cleared by York Region.
Plowing operations begin when snow accumulates over 6 cm beginning with primary routes and then moving onto secondary routes. Primary routes are road/sidewalks that carry higher volumes of traffic and lead to areas such as business areas, the hospital and schools. It takes approximately 8 to 10 hours to plow/clear the Town and 12 hours and longer if snow continues to fall.
Residents can track the progress of snow plowing in Newmarket by using Locate my Plow during winter events. Locate my Plow will allow you to:
- View the current status of snow plows on roads (actively plowing road plows)
- View when the last time the particular road was plowed
- View how many kilometres of roads are still left to be completed
Residents are also urged to remember to keep the following tips during the winter season:
- Winter parking restrictions are in effect until April 15, 2020. Please avoid parking on the street as it interferes with snow clearing.
- Please place blue bins, green bins and garbage at the end of the driveway and not on
top of, or behind snowbanks so that items are easy for operators to collect.
- Clear fire hydrants adjacent to private property where possible so that hydrants can be easily located and hoses can be hooked up in the event of an emergency.
- Ensure appliance vents are not blocked by snow or ice to prevent carbon monoxide
- Newmarket parks are not maintained for winter activities. Please take extra caution and
use at your own risk.
- Have emergency supplies – including water, non-perishable foods, flashlights and a first-aid kit – that will last for 72 hours. View the Central York Fire Services website for a full list of items to include in an emergency kit.
For more information on our snow clearing procedures, visit our frequently ask questions webpage. For updates during an inclement weather events, follow the Town of Newmarket on Twitter @TownofNewmarket.