How to keep Newmarket clean and green during COVID-19
With the clean-up programs like the Community Clean-up, Textile Recycling and Curbside Giveaway Days suspended until further notice, and the Ministry of Environment advising against community clean-ups, it's important to be mindful of the waste we produce in the community.
Here are some tips that will help keep our community clean and green during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Don't litter. Please use the designated garbage bins along our parks and trails.
- Pick up after your pet. If there isn't a garbage bin nearby, or its full, bring it home to dispose.
- Take all your items from the mailbox home to sort. Flyers too please!
- Securely tie garbage bags and don't overfill your blue box. Try placing heavier items on top on top to prevent materials from blowing away.
- Always place used gloves and disposable masks in the garbage.
- Having a snack on the trail? Bring a bag with you to take litter home with you to properly recycle or trash.
- Consider grasscycling. Leave grass clippings on your lawn after mowing. Doing so can save water, time and energy and its good for the environment. Grass clippings serve as great natural fertilizers. Grass clippings are not accepted in the Town's Yard Waste curbside pick-up program.
- Grass clippings need to be dropped off at the Bloomington Yard Waste Depot in Richmond Hill.
Please note that garage and yard sales are discouraged in Newmarket due to the Province of Ontario's Emergency Order regarding social gatherings.