LEAF’s Backyard Tree Planting Program during COVID-19
Apply for LEAF's Backyard Tree Planting program. During the COVID-19 Pandemic, applications will continue to be accepted but LEAF's response times may be delayed.
This subsidized program is available to all Newmarket residents and those that apply for either the Full Service or the Do-It-Yourself Tree Planting Programs could qualify for an additional $100 discount towards the planting of a new tree thanks to the Town of Newmarket's Stormwater Rebate Program. To apply visit yourleaf.org.
Looking to improve your green thumb? Follow these tree care tips:
- Spread natural, undyed mulch around in a doughnut shape around the base of the tree (do this as soon as possible)
- Water your young tree twice a week approximately three full watering cans each time (start now and continue throughout until the ground freezes, usually mid-to-late October)
- Prune trees and shrubs (do this as soon as possible, before things bloom/leaf out)
- Remove stakes placed last year (do this as soon as possible)
- If tree guards were placed over the winter, remove them (do this from May onward)
Learn more at yourleaf.org/tree-care.