Water FAQs


Municipal Office

395 Mulock Drive P.O. Box 328 Station Main, Newmarket, Ontario
L3Y 4X7

Email Us

I have discoloured/dirty water. What should I do?

First you will need to know if the discolouration is in the hot water or cold water. Tip: If it is in the cold water, it will be in the toilets.

If discoloured hot water, you will need will to flush your hot water tank. This process does not require a plumber or gas company.  If you have access to the internet, you can google "how to flush a water heater" and there are detailed instructions as well as videos to assist. The Town does not look after hot water tanks.

If you have discoloured cold water, let the water run from the highest point of the house (upstairs bathroom) until it runs clear. If this does not clear the water, please contact the Town of Newmarket Customer Service Department at 905-895-5193 to see if there is work being done in your area. The Town has hard water with minerals (iron) which causes discoloration but please be rest assured it is still safe to use. 

My water is cloudy. What should I do?
Generally this indicates that there is air in the pipes, usually more prevalent in cold weather. Cloudiness does eventually clear (approximately 10 seconds) and is not harmful; it's a side effect of hard water.  If it does not clear, please contact the Town of Newmarket Customer Service Department at 905-895-5193.

My water smells like sewage. What should I do? 

Please be rest assured that the water lines and sewage lines are separate. Water lines cannot be contaminated by sewage. First, try to flush your hot water tank. If this does not help, please contact the Town of Newmarket Customer Service Department at 905-895-5193. The water department will flush the closest hydrant to your property.

I have a sewer back-up. What should I do?

Sewer blockages on private property are the sole responsibility of the homeowner/resident of that property. If you suspect that your sewer is blocked, it is recommend that you follow these steps below: 

1. If you suspect that your sewer is blocked and your toilet is not flushing properly, use a plunger to see if you can free the blockage from the toilet.

2. If that does not work, do a quick assessment of your home by inspecting any sinks or toilets that are not draining properly.

3.  If you suspect a sewer blockage after the quick assessment, stop using any water (flushing toilets, running taps, doing laundry etc.). Doing so may cause sewer back-up to flow into your home.

4. Contact the Town's pre-selected contractor, or your own contractor to notify them of your sewer blockage. The Town's pre-selected contractor is J and S Home Services. 

o    Please note that before the contractor can perform any work, a Sewer Safety Inspection must be done. A Sewer Safety Inspection will prevent the risk of a gas leak and/or explosion by making sure underground gas lines are not intersecting the sewer pipes outside your home.

o    Call Ontario One Call at 1-800-400-2255 for a Sewer Safety Inspection. The Sewer Safety Inspection is provided at no cost to the homeowner. Once you have received clearance from Ontario One Call, you can contact your contractor to clear any sewer blockages.

5.    If you or your contractor suspect that the sewer blockage originated from Town property, you or the contractor is required to obtain the following evidence such as CCTV footage, location of the sewer blockage and type of blockage and provide it to the Town of Newmarket to launch an investigation. After the investigation, the Town will notify you of its outcome and decision. If the origin of the sewer blockage is proven to have been caused by the Town, you will be compensated for all costs incurred for clearing the sewer blockage. For more information on this process, please call 905-895-5193. 

My water shut off valve in side my home is leaking. Can I get it replaced?
The water shut off values inside the home is the homeowner's responsibility.  You may call a plumber or contractor to replace the valve. The Town can turn off water from the street level via the exterior water valve. Please call the Town of Newmarket Customer Service Department at 905-895-5193 to request for a water shut off.

I have really low water pressure. Why is that?
There could be a number of reasons for low water pressure:

  • If you have a water softener, put it on bypass and see if you have received your full water pressure back. If so, this is an indication that the water softener filter needs to be replaced or the softener needs maintenance. You may search online for your softener make and model to see where the bypass button is and what maintenance is required. Please note, even if your softener is not on or being used, water will still go through unless it is on bypass.
  • If there was a water valve repair or replacement recently, the valves may not be fully open or turned all the way. Please check all the valves inside the home. If there is no change, please call the Town of Newmarket at 905-895-5193 to book an appointment for staff to investigate.
  • There may be aerators (the screen located at the end of the faucet) that are blocked or clogged. You will need to unscrew the aerator on the faucet and clean the aerator.

If none of the above applies to you, please call the Town of Newmarket at 905-895-5193 to book an appointment for staff to come out and investigate. Please ensure someone the age of 18 is home to allow staff access.

I have paid my water bill now. I need my water to be turned back on. Who do I contact?

Please contact Newmarket Hydro at 905-895-2309 to request for your water to be back on (for non-payments only).

I would like to request for an increase in water service.
This depends on the area. Usually older areas are usually ½" meter service and the newer areas are ¾" meter service.  If the change is requested, it is at the owner's cost and they require a contractor to complete the work.  The road to the shut off valve (curb stop) stays the same as it belongs to the Town.  Once the service lines have been updated by the resident and the new meter has been paid for, we will install the new meter with no charge. Please contact the Town of Newmarket at 905-895-5193 to obtain any required permits.

The water valve (curb stop) in my lawn/driveway has been raised. How do I get it lowered?
Sometimes after the winter and cold temperatures, the thaw forces the curb stop to lift. Please call the Town of Newmarket at 905-895-5193 to request for your curb stop to be lowered. This will be placed on a list and will be completed in between jobs.

I don't know where my water valve (curb stop) is. How do I get it located?

Please call the Town of Newmarket at 905-895-5193 to request for your water valve to be located. Please note, this is only to locate your water valve. If you required all utilities to be located for excavation work, please call Ontario One Call at 1-800-400-2255.

I got a new water softener. What are the settings for water hardness?

170.79 parts per million, 9.97 grains per gallon and PH8.  ​