Virtual Remembrance Day Events in Newmarket
On November 11, we stand for a moment of silence to show our appreciation and respect for all who have served in the Canadian Armed Forces and given up their lives in the line of duty. Although the global pandemic has restricted social gathering limits and in-person ceremonies and events, there are still ways to show appreciation and respect for Canada's veterans.
Here are some ways you can remember Canada's veterans in the comfort of your home:
- Wear a Poppy and/or make a donation. Proceeds go towards financial assistance to support Veterans and their families who are in need.
- On November 8, the Newmarket Legion will be hosting a virtual ceremony at 1 p.m. through Facebook Live at facebook.com/RoyalCanadianLegion426. You can also support the Legion's Poppy fund by wearing poppies, poppy masks or donating to donation boxes around Town. They will also have a limited supply of Poppy Masks for sale. Call 905-895-5481 or visit legionnewmarket.ca for more information.
- On November 11, The Royal Canadian Legion will be hosting a virtual ceremony through Facebook Live at facebook.com/CanadianLegion beginning at 10:45 a.m. A two-minute moment of silence will be held at 11 a.m.
- Support the Newmarket Veterans' Association and tune in to their live stream ceremony on November 11 at 11 a.m. View the livestream on YouTube.
- Participate in upcoming events virtually around Canada by visiting veterans.gc.ca eng/events.
As we continue to take precautions to help slow the spread of COVID-19, we continue to #standaparttogether and remember those who have made the ultimate sacrifice for Canada. Lest we forget.
Please note that no in-person events are taking place in Newmarket this year due to the COVID-19 pandemic.