Annual Art Walk & Studio Tour Exhibition
September 23 to 29
September 30 and Octoctober 1
Approximatley 30 different works of original art in a variety of mediums, created by our local artist group: The Newmarket Group of Artists, displayed in the beautiful Serpa Galleries of Newmarket Old Town Hall.
Begin, or add to, your personal art collection by purchasing original art! Or simply enjoy a leisurely stroll through Old Town Hall absorbing the beauty of the works on display.
Admission to the Serpa Galleries is free. All are welcome.
Newmarket Celebrates Culture Days
Saturday, September 30 and Sunday, October 1 from 1:00 to 4:00 p.m.
There's lots do here!
- Newmarket Group of Artists Exhibition – Old Town Hall is full of fantastic, original art; come on out and explore this feast for the eyes. Meet some of our amazing artists as well.
- Canada 150 Mosaic Project – Newmarket is joining communities across Canada creating sections of a mosaic tile wall mural that will connect Canada coast to coast to coast, through art. Every participating city or town is creating a section of the mural made up of 400-750 individually painted tiles that symbolize their community. What better time to create OUR mosaic mural than during CULTURE DAYS! We provide the tiles and the paint – you provide the creativity! (Saturday only)
- Family Fun with Minions – The Minions are keeping a SECRET and your mission is to help them save Old Town Hall from certain destruction. Come on out and help us! (Sunday only)
Booking Space at Old Town Hall
The beautiful spaces at Old Town Hall are available for rent. Inquiries to be made directly by email to email@example.com Unfortunately due to volume we are unable to accept DROP IN inquiries. We will endeavour to respond to your email within two business days.
In your introductory email please include the following information:
- Date/s requested
- Space/s requested (if known)
- Type of event
- Estimated number of people attending
History of Newmarket's Old Town Hall
Newmarket's Old Town Hall is located at 460 Botsford Street. The two-storey Old Town Hall is an important part of Newmarket's history. It was opened in 1883 and began operating as a Farmers' Market, operating until the 1940s. The Farmers' Market brought a great deal of prosperity to the area and helped Newmarket's Main Street grow into the heart of the community. Directly across the street from the Old Town Hall is Market Square, an open meeting place where local events and celebrations are held.
Since 2012, Newmarket's Old Town Hall had undergone substantial renovations to achieve architectural renaissance. A new atrium extension was added to the south side of the building representing the blending of the old and the new. Renovations and improvements were made throughout the building to make it fully accessible and ensure it functions as a culture hub for theatre, music, dance, arts and cultural activities and numerous opportunities for continued economic growth.
The restoration of Old Town Hall is part of a joint project with the Federal and Provincial government in which the Town of Newmarket received approximately $3.4 million in funding. As a key driver of the Town's Cultural Master Plan, this landmark will act as a hub for arts and culture and will play a key role in the revitalization of Newmarket's downtown core.
Learn more about the history of Newmarket's Old Town Hall or check out some of the upcoming events and activities such as:
Heritage Lecture Series | Discovery Walk Series | National 10 Minute Play Festival (stay tuned for 2018)
Customer Service Kiosk Hours:
Hours of Operation:
Tuesday to Friday, 12:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Recreation & Culture Program Registration
- Waste Sticker Sales
- Property Tax Payments
- Parking Ticket Payments
- Animal Licensing