During select Curbside Giveaway Days, Newmarket residents are invited to place unwanted, gently used items labelled FREE at the curb for other residents to take for their own use, free of charge. This is a great opportunity to give unwanted items a new life while keeping them out of landfill!
2024 Newmarket Curbside Giveaway Days:
- Saturday, April 27
- Saturday, May 25
- Saturday, June 22
- Saturday, July 27
- Saturday, August 24
- Saturday, September 28
- Saturday, October 26
NOTICE: When participating in curbside giveaway, please remember to wash and/or santize your hands after retrieving a curbside giveaway item.
What to do:
Place unwanted, gently used items clearly labelled with a FREE sign
at the curb in front of your home by 7 a.m. on the morning of the above dates. Unclaimed items must be removed from the curb by 5 p.m. that evening. Items left at the curb could result in a By-Law violation.
Staying Safe During COVID-19:
For helpful safety tips from York Region Public Health during Curbside Giveaway Days as well as for any buy, sell, or trade events, visit York Region's website york.ca/curbsidegiveaway
. Additional resources such as physical distancing signs are also available to download and print.
Curbside Giveaway Etiquette & Safety Tips:
- Use your discretion when deciding whether or not to place items out to the curb. Items should still be in good condition for re-use or able to be repaired.
- Keep items you do not want to give away close to your house or inside to avoid confusion.
- Please keep sidewalks and hydrants clear.
- Please respect private property and do not walk on people's lawns or gardens and obey traffic laws at all times (e.g. do not block traffic and driveways or park illegally) and watch out for children.
- Only take items that are marked FREE.
What can be placed at the curb?
- Books, CD's, and DVD's
- Furniture and small appliances
- Sports equipment and toys
- Yard and gardening equipment (e.g. lawn mowers, shovels, rakes, etc.)
- Kitchen gadgets, dishes, cutlery, pots and pans
- Construction material (e.g. nails, paint, wood, etc.) and tools
- Artwork and mirrors
What should not be placed at the curb?
- Items that are not re-usable (place garbage out for collection on your scheduled garbage collection day - curbside limits and set-out rules still apply).
- Items that could be infested with bed bugs (e.g. mattresses, furniture, bedding).
- Visit the Consumer Product Safety Bureau to find out about items that are not safe to give away.
What to do with unclaimed items:
- Consider donating unclaimed items to charitable, non-profit organizations or community groups rather than placing out for waste collection.
- Post your item for trade or sale on local buy and sell Facebook Groups
- Post your item for sale using online websites such as Kijiji or Varagesale
- Bulky items (e.g. furniture) left at the curb will not be picked up with regular garbage collection. Please visit the Large Item Collection page for more information.
- Items not accepted in the Town's curbside programs (e.g. construction materials, electronics, etc.) should be taken to a York Region waste depot for proper recycling and disposal.
- Use Newmarket's Recycle Coach app to determine disposal options for unclaimed items.
Please note: The contents of this web page and other information provided by the Town about curbside giveaway days are intended as helpful advice only; they are not legally binding. Curbside giveaway day participants are responsible for the goods they are giving away and the goods they are acquiring. The Town of Newmarket does not accept any liability for any actions taken by participants in the giveaway days or for the type or quality of goods being given away or acquired as part of the curbside giveaway days.