The Town of Newmarket Planning & Building Services has adapted its processes to be able to continue to provide services during the COVID-19 pandemic while respecting the health and safety of customers and staff. Please see details here.
The Town of Newmarket's Building Division will assist you with your building projects such as new construction, additions and demolitions. Many projects require building permits which can be applied for at the Municipal Offices.
The Building Division, under the Development and Infrastructure Commission, is responsible for the enforcement of The Building Code Act and The Building Code Regulations.
Before applying for a building permit, ensure that your intended project conforms to the zoning by-law. Locate the zoning for any property in Newmarket at the "What is my zoning?" page or consult a relevant guide to your type of project in the box below.
Projects that may require a building permit include:
- Backflow prevention
- Building renovations and alternations
- Decks and sheds
- Demolishing a building or structure on your property
- Fireplaces and woodstoves
- Foundation excavation or construction
- Garages and carports
- New buildings or structures on your property
- Plumbing installations or changes
- Solar Panels
- Sunrooms and porches
- Walls – adding and removing
- Windows and doors – new openings and/or structural alterations
- Pools and hot tubs, fences and signs may require a permit through the Legislative Services Department