- Call York Regional Police at 1-866-876-5423 or 911 if it is an immediate medical emergency
- Call Newmarket Animal Services at 905-895-5193
Make note of:
- Vehicle License Plate
- The time you first saw the animal in the vehicle
- The current temperature
- And any signs of distress that the animal is exhibiting
The Town of Newmarket has the ability to lay charges under Section 5 (3) of the Animal Control By-law 2020-30
5 (3) No Person shall allow an Animal to remain in a Vehicle unless:
- the Animal is secured in a manner that prevents contact between the Animal and any member of the public;
- the Animal has suitable ventilation; and
- the Animal is not exposed to temperatures which can cause distress and/or death.
The Town of Newmarket does not have the authority to remove animals from hot vehicles.
The Provincial Animal Welfare Services or the Police under their direction, have the ability to enter a vehicle and remove an animal under Provincial Animal Welfare Services Act if the animal is exhibiting signs of "critical distress"
"Critical distress" means distress that requires immediate intervention in order to prevent serious injury or to preserve life.