Marriage Licence


Municipal Office

395 Mulock Drive P.O. Box 328 Station Main, Newmarket, Ontario
L3Y 4X7

Email Us


​​​​​​Logo that reads - Civil Ceremony Marriage Services

Image of married couple kissing

​​Congratulat​ions, you're Getting Married!

To make it legal you'll need a valid Ontario marriage licence before your civil or religious marriage ceremony. You can purchase your marriage licence from the Town of Newmarket or another Ontario municipality with the authority to issue marriage licences. A marriage licence is valid only for marriages taking place in Ontario and expires three (3) months from the date of issue. 

To get your licence you'll need to complete a hard-copy of the marriage licence application form


Both you and your partner will need to sign this form and submit a hard-copy in-person to our Customer Service department at our Municipal Offices. In addition to this form, we will need each person's supporting identification documents and a licensing fee of $143, payable by cash, Interac, Visa, Mastercard or American Express. We encourage both of you to attend together, however if only one person can attend they will need the proper documents for the absent person. If all the supporting documents are present at the time of your application, the licence will be issued in about 30 minutes. The Town offers a fee of $526 + HST ($594.38) for any couple that wishes to obtain their marriage licence and hold a civil marriage ceremony with the Town's Officiant

Hours of Service

Labour Day to Victoria Day: Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Between Victoria Day and Thanksgiving: Monday to Thursday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.; Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. 

Supporting Identification Documents

Here's what we'll need when you come in to get your licence:

Two (2) pieces of original and current government-issued identification for each person getting married.  One piece of identification must include your photo. 

The first piece of identification must be one of the following:

  • Birth Certificate, (with any applicable change of Name certificate)
  • Current Passport
  • Record of Immigrant Landing
  • Canadian Citizenship Card

The second piece of identification must be photo identification, which can be one of the following:

  • Driver's Licence
  • Passport (providing it is not used as the first piece of identification)
  • Provincial photo I.D.
  • Any other Canadian government issued photo I.D.​

If you have any questions regarding acceptable identification, please contact Customer Service.

​Note:  If previously married, an original or court certified copy of the decree absolute or an original Certificate of Divorce is required.  Divorce judgements and orders are not acceptable, nor are photocopies. 

If you have questions, please contact us at:


​​Further information is available on the ServiceOntario website at