The arborist report is prepared by an expert in the care and maintenance of trees. This includes a person with a diploma or degree involving arboriculture from an accredited college or university, a Registered Professional Forester or an accredited Certified Arborist under the International Society of Arboriculture.
The arborist report provides specific information about the tree(s) for which a permit is being requested. The report is required to obtain a tree permit because it helps determine the legitimacy of tree permit requests. It is a third-party review of the tree's condition. The key element of the report describes the condition of the tree which could include information on the health, condition, structural integrity and vigour of the tree.
An arborist report must include:
- Percentage of total property canopy cover being removed
- Species of tree(s) being removed
- Diameter size of the tree(s), in centimeters, measured at the base of the tree and at breast height.
- Health/Condition of trees being removed
- Reason for removal
- Replacement recommendations (planting plan) to remove non-hazard tree(s)
- Arborist certification number