During the COVID-19 pandemic, there may be program disruptions, changes and facility closures. We continue to offer alternative ways to serve the community. Learn about Newmarket's approach to reopening and for current information and resources. For any inquiries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Photo taken prior to the COVID-19 pandemic
Updated Thursday, January 14, 2021 - 7 p.m.
Outdoor skating at Riverwalk Commons is open during the Stay At Home Provincial orders.
All participants are required to book their skate session one day in advance at play.newmarket.ca. See below for all details, regulations and procedures to ensure a fun, safe, and socially distanced skating experience for everyone.
TO BOOK YOUR SKATING TIME: Registration opens at 9 a.m. the day prior to the day you wish to skate. At this time, outdoor skating is only open to Newmarket residents due to limited space available.
Booking your skate time is for immediate household members only; booking for members outside of your household is considered a gathering, which is prohibited at this time.
MASKS TO BE WORN WHILE ON ICE: Masks must be worn at all times; while preparing to go on the ice, while skating on the ice and while disembarking and leaving the facility after your skate.
NO ON SITE WALK UPS OR WAIT LINES: To be compliant with the new Provincial Stay At Home protocols, we can no longer accommodate any on site walk ups or wait lines. In order to skate, you must register at play.newmarket.ca and fill out the COVID-19 Pre Screening form at newmarket.ca/covidscreening
In accordance to Provincial COVID-19 guidelines, there is a separate entrance and exit, strict capacity limits of 25 people and all participants will be required to complete a health screening questionnaire. Please note, the reopening date and protocols are subject to change in accordance with the most current and up to date Provincial COVID-19 guidelines.
Skating Rules and Reminders:
- Reservations must be made for immediate family members only and restricted to Newmarket residents.
- Walk-up spots and waiting on site at the rink is no longer an option. All spots must be reserved, for family members only, and one day in advance at play.newmarket.ca.
- Skating sessions will be limited to 45 minutes.
- All participants will be required to participate in an online health screening questionnaire on site. Save time by completing it ahead of time at newmarket.ca/covidscreening and show it to the staff member when you arrive.
- Face coverings are required at all times; while waiting in line, preparing to skate, while on the ice and when disembarking and leaving the rink facility.
- Helmets are strongly recommended for all participants.
- Shinny is not permitted at any time.
- Children under the age of 10 years old are recommended to be accompanied by a guardian at least 16 years of age or older. Parents not skating but remaining within the fenced area of the skating feature will be required to register as a participant and will count towards the capacity limit of 25.
- Parents waiting outside the fenced in area are not required to register as a participant. Physical distancing (staying 6ft./2m. away from others) will be required at all times.
- You can no longer book for any members outside your household, as that is considered a gathering, which is prohibited.
Hours of Operation:
The Winter Wonderland lights go on at approximately 4:30 p.m. and turn off by 11 p.m.
- Parent & Tot Skating: Designed for children 6 yrs and under. Each Parent and Tot group must have at least one guardian (16+) and one tot, to a maximum group size of 4 - Monday - Friday 9 a.m. and 10 a.m.
- Senior's Skating: For participants 55+ - Monday - Friday: 11 a.m.
- Adult Skating: For participants 18+ - Monday - Friday: 12 p.m.
Public Skate: Monday - Friday: 1 p.m. – 10 p.m.
Saturday & Sunday: 9 a.m. - 10 p.m.
- All skate times are 45 minutes in length.
Currently not in effect due to COVID-19