Community Support for Homelessness and vulnerable individuals
The Town of Newmarket works with other level of government such as York Region to provide support for those in our community who are homeless or vulnerable. View below for information on available resources to assist you.
During extreme cold weather, visit one of the following Town of Newmarket facilities below during its hours of operation to stay warm. Click the link of the facility to view hours of operation.
Tips on Staying Warm
- Limit your exposure to extreme cold weather
- If it's too cold outside, consider staying indoors
- Make sure your head, face, ears, neck, hands and feet are well protected
- Avoid alcoholic beverages as they cause your body to lose heat more rapidly
Learn more by visiting York Region's extreme cold resources webpage.
During extreme hot weather, visit one of the following Town of Newmarket facilities below during its hours of operation to stay cool. Click the link of the facility to view hours of operation.
Tips on Staying Cool
- Check local weather forecasts for the temperature, humidex and UV index
- Check Environment Canada for heat warnings
- Schedule outdoor physical activities in the morning and evening hours when it is cooler
- If you are not in an air-conditioned environment and unable to stay cool, go to a public building such as a library, community centre, shopping mall or public pool
Learn more by visiting York Region's extreme heat webpage.
Emergency and Transitional Housing
There are seasonal emergency housing and shelters and other emergency housing facilities across York Region for people experiencing homelessness. In Newmarket, those seeking shelter can contact or visit one of the following:
- Inn from the Cold (510 Penrose Street), which provides overnight accommodation for those seeking temporary housing, meals and clothing. Inn from the Cold is open from 8 p.m. to 8 a.m., seven days a week from November to early April. For more information, call 905-895-8889.
- Belinda's Place (16580 Yonge Street) which provides accommodations for women who are homeless or in crisis. For information on Belinda's Place, call 289-366-4673.
- Street Outreach Van, which provides mobile street outreach services to homeless, street involved people and those at risk of being homeless, seven days a week from 2 to 9 p.m. To schedule a meeting place and time, call 1-866-553-4053.
For more information, please call the Town at 905-895-5193 or York Region Health Connection at 1-800-361-5653. For the death of hard of hearing, contact York Region at 1-877-464-9675 or 1-866-512-6228.
For more information on various emergency shelters in Newmarket, visit York Region's Emergency and Transitional Housing webpage.