Elman W. Campbell Museum

Contacts

Municipal Office

395 Mulock Drive P.O. Box 328 Station Main, Newmarket, Ontario
L3Y 4X7
905-895-5193

Email Us

elman w. campbell museum banner

Updated September 21, 2021

Starting September 22, those entering certain indoor public settings will be required to be fully vaccinated*and provide proof of full vaccination status in accordance with Provincial legislation.

September 22 to October 31: All individuals 12+ will be required to provide proof of full vaccination* (with the exception of those age 12-17 who are participating in an organized sport) for entry into a Town facility or recreation program, including access to the Customer Service Kiosks at the Magna Centre and the Ray Twinney Recreation Complex.  

November 1: All individuals 12+ will be required to provide proof of full vaccination* (regardless of their participation in an organized sport) for entry into a Town facility, including the Customer Service Kiosk, and participation in all recreation programs and events as approved at the Special Council Meeting on September 21.

For more details about the Town of Newmarket screening process and the information residents are required to present at facility and event screening desks, please refer to the Media Release here: COVID-19 Newmarket Updates

Have more questions? Please visit our FAQ page for further information:  Affected Services and Frequently Asked Questions (newmarket.ca)

*Fully vaccinated means all individuals must have proof of two doses of a Health Canada Approved Vaccine or one dose of the Jansen (Johnson and Johnson) vaccine plus a two-week waiting period from their last dose.

For up-to-date information about closures, re-openings and the Town's response to the pandemic, please visit Newmarket.ca/covid19 and follow @TownofNewmarket on social media. For a full list of regulations, please view the Province of Ontario's media release.

For more information about recreation services and amenities, please contact Customer Service: email info@newmarket.ca or call 905-895-5193.

Fall 2021 Programs

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, all in-person programs and events hosted by the Town of Newmarket will follow all guidelines released by the Ontario Ministry of Health and York Region Public Health. We are dedicated to providing a fun and safe environment for all staff and participants.

The Elman W. Campbell Museum is thrilled to be open Tuesday to Saturday 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 to 4:00 p.m.

Staff and volunteers are looking forward to inviting visitors for tours, programs and events at the museum. Check out our newly renovated interior and step back in time to see our new exhibits including Grandma's Attic, General Store, VE Day, children's nursery, 1940's love and war and optician's office. 

Check back for details about upcoming weekly programs and events offered this year!

Registration Details:

  • Museum outreach programs are available in-person (following current time COVID regulations) or by Zoom. Pre-register at museum@newmarket.ca or 905-953-5314 

  • Museum Pop-Ups and Wee Fun Wednesdays are available in-person (following current time COVID regulations).
    Register a play.newmarket.ca

Museum Fall Hours 2021

  • 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 1 to 4 p.m. Tuesday to Saturday

Museum Pop Ups

Saturday Museum Pop Ups -  Outdoor Fun and Education!

Free Admission | 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Each week is a different theme offering free family activities, displays and photo opportunities on our front lawn. During inclement weather museum activities will be offered indoors. COVID-19 health and safety protocols will be followed.

  • September 11, 2021 Curiosities from Grandma's Attic
  • September 18, 2021 Newmarket's Earliest Inhabitants
  • September 25, 2021 Early Settlers
  • October 2, 2021 Culture Days Re: Imagine A Simpler Time (Mini Harvest Fun)
  • October 9, 2021 Importance of Bead Work
  • October 16, 2021 Learning from Animals
  • Ocotber 23, 2021 Early Playtime
  • October 30, 2021 Halloween
Register a play.newmarket.ca 

Wee Fun Wednesdays at the Museum


For Tots and Caregivers

  • Time: 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
  • Cost: $5.00 per child
  • Ages: 1 to 4 years
  • Register a play.newmarket.ca 

Drop in programs for Tots and Caregivers will stimulate communication, cooperation, imagination and make new friends! Stop in for crafts and finish up by seeing one of our many displays! Join us for a different theme each Wednesday.

Dates and Activities

September 8 - International Literacy Day

  • Make a book Craft
  • Yellow Playdough
  • Colouring

September 15 - Kites

  • Make A Kite Craft
  • Blue playdough Fun
  • Colouring

September 22 - First Day of Fall

  • Fall Fun Crafts
  • Red Playdough Fun
  • Colouring

September 29 - Fall Food Day

  • Fall Food Painting Crafts
  • Orange Playdough
  • Colouring

 October 6 - Thanksgiving Day

  • Thanksgiving Craft
  • Brown Playdough
  • Colouring

October 13 - Farm Animal Day

  • Farm Animal Crafts
  • Green Playdough Fun
  • Colouring

October 20 - Apple Day

  • Apple Painting Crafts
  • Red Playdough Fun
  • Colouring

October 27 - Halloween

  • Halloween Crafts
  • Orange Playdough Fun

November 3 - Woodland Animal Day

  • Woodland Animal Day
  • Green Playdough Fun
  • Colouring

November 10 - Nautical Day

  • Nautical Crafts
  • Blue Playdough Fun
  • Colouring

November 17 - Tooth Fairy Day

  • Tooth Fairy Crafts
  • White Playdough Fun
  • Colouring

November 24 - Balloons Day

  • Balloon Crafts
  • Yellow Playdough Fun
  • Colouring

December 1 - Community Helpers Day

  • Crafts
  • Red Playdough
  • Colouring

December 8 - Gingerbread Day

  • Crafts
  • Yellow Playdough Fun
  • Colouring

December 15 - Snowflake Day

  • Snowflake Crafts
  • Blue Playdough Fun
  • Colouring

December 22 - Holiday Fun

  • Holiday Crafts
  • Red Playdough Fun
  • Colouring


MuseumPage-Bands-08.png

The Elman W. Campbell Museum is offering a variety of outreach programs to bring to your location. In a one-hour presentation, you will learn about our local museum, its mandate and the artifacts we collect. Specific to each theme will be historical objects to view and reproductions to handle up close! 

Click here to download and print the Museum Outreach pdf

Museum outreach programs are available in-person (following current time COVID regulations) or by Zoom. Pre-register at museum@newmarket.ca or 905-953-5314 

MuseumPage-Bands-09.png

Click the tile below for Museum Online Learning

online learning button

FallProgramsBand-Band-02.png


Elman W. Campbell Museum Information

Elman W. Campbell Museum Information

The ELMAN W. CAMPBELL MUSEUM, owned by the Corporation of the Town of Newmarket and operated by the Elman W. Campbell Museum Board of Management, is a non-profit, educational institution created for the purpose of collecting, preserving, researching, studying, exhibiting and interpreting artifacts related to the social, political and economic history of the Town of Newmarket and its environs from the time of the first settlers to thirty years before present, for the benefit of residents of the Town of Newmarket and visitors from outside the Town. 

Discover why visitors are calling the Elman W. Campbell Museum "Newmarket's hidden gem"! Drop by for a free visit to learn and explore:

  • Elsie Czernick General Store (Gift shop operated by the Friends of the Museum)
  • Various period room displays
  • Model train diorama
  • Table top activities for children including: wooden train set, wooden doll house, build a log cabin, colouring, slates with chalk,
    mini doctor office & more
  • Special displays changed throughout the year

Help support the Elman W. Campbell Museum:

Purchase a Donor Leaf as a unique gift or in honour of a loved one. Bronze Leaf $100, Silver Leaf $250, Gold Leaf $500, Gold Branch $1000, Tree Trunk $2,500 and Tree Roots $5,000. Tax receipts will be issued.


The Elman W. Campbell Museum is wheelchair accessible. 

​Location: 134 Main Street South, Newmarket, ON

For more information call 905-953-5314 or email: museum@newmarket.ca ​

To view a 360​°​ panorama tour of the Elman W. Campbell Museum, click the image below.

Link to 360 degree tour of Elman W. Campbell Museum

Friends of the Museum

The Friends of the Museum (F.O.M.) was established in 1984 to provide volunteer and financial support to the Elman W. Campbell Museum.

The F.O.M. is a dedicated, independent group of volunteers who are engaged in a variety of fundraising and promotional activities.

Funds raised are used to purchase equipment and supplies for the Museum. 

The F.O.M. assists the Elman W. Campbell Museum through:

 

Promotion: helping to raise public awareness of the Museum and its activities.

Fundraising: staging and participating in special events to raise money for Museum purposes.

Gift Shop Operation: operating the Museum's Gift Shop.

Other opportunities: participating & leading tours, and behind-the-scenes work.


The Friends
 warmly welcome new members to join in and help with activities and fundraising events. Friends of the Museum meetings are held at 1:00 p.m., the second Thursday of the month, during January, February, April, May, September, October and November annually.     

Nominal annual membership fee required

For more information contact museum@newmarket.ca or call 905-953-5314.

FAQ's

1. What is the purpose of the Museum?

Statement of Purpose: The Elman W. Campbell Museum, owned by the Corporation of the Town of Newmarket and operated by the Elman W. Campbell Museum Board of Management, is a non-profit, educational institution created for the purpose of collecting, preserving, researching, studying, exhibiting and interpreting artifacts related to the social, political and economic history of the Town of Newmarket and its environs from the time of the first settlers to thirty years before present, for the benefit of residents of the Town of Newmarket and visitors from outside the Town.

 

2. Is this a dinosaur museum? 

No.  The exhibits trace the development of the Town from the time of the first settlers to thirty years ago.  The front area of the Museum introduces the earliest settlers, the middle room is for changing displays, and the permanent exhibits are at the far end. 

 

3. When was the Registry Office built? 

In 1884.

Background information:  It is the last 19th Century registry office in York Region.  Designed by John T. Stokes and built by Page and Harris, it has a cut stone foundation and slate roof.  It has a three-bay façade with centre door.

 

4. How long have we been in this building? 

Since 1996.

 

5. Who named the Museum?  

The Museum was named by the Council of the Town of Newmarket. 
  

6. How does the name of the Museum relate to the earliest people or settlers?  

It doesn't relate to the earliest people or settlers. Elman Campbell was a Main Street merchant from the 1930's through the 1970's.  Council named the Museum after him because of his generous support for the Museum.

 

7. How long has there been a Museum? 


 

1979 Elman Campbell had a vision for a Museum to document the history of Newmarket.  He started to gather artifacts in his garage.
July 16, 1981Upper floor of the old Fire Hall became the first home for the Museum.  It opened on June 22, 1982.
October, 1991The new Elman W. Campbell Museum opened in the former Office Specialty c. 1912 building.
1996Museum staff started moving into the former registry office building in November 1996 with a grand opening planned for May 1997.  In 1987 the building was designated an historic site under the Ontario Heritage Site.

 

8. Has the building changed in size or look since it originally opened? 

The Museum had an additional bay constructed in 1938 to resemble the original building.  In 1954 a large addition was put on the back, with a basement underneath.  This latter addition is red brick like the original section, but does not resemble it in style (the old part is Classical Revival).  The new part is boxy and modern.  The sizes of the three sections are:  original 1884 building 1,384 square feet, 1938 448 square feet, 1954 addition 3,264 feet each level.

9. When was Newmarket officially incorporated as a village? 

January 1, 1858. Newmarket separated from Whitchurch Township and became a Village in 1857.  When the first election was held, Donald Sutherland was elected and became the first Reeve. 

 

10. When did Newmarket become a Town? 

In 1880 the population was approximately 2,021.  Newmarket became a Town in 1881 and had a Mayor -William Cane, a Reeve, Deputy Reeve, and 3 Alderman from each of 3 wards (St. Andrew's, St. George's, and St. Patrick's).

 

11. What does the Town Crest represent? 

Newmarket, Heart of the Region of York. "Nine bees in a hive of activity" Each bee represents nine leading industries already established when Newmarket was officially incorporated as a village. 

 

The nine bees represent:

3 Mills

Millard Flour Mill

Sutherland Grist Mill

Gorham Woollen Mill

2 iron foundries

James Allan Iron Foundry

Sykes and Elvidge Iron Foundry

One tanneryThe original tannery was owned by a saddler named William Wallis, located on north side of Timothy Street near Cedar Street.  In 1858 it was sold to John Townley.
One chairmakerCaldwell
Two cabinetmakers

Millard, Cabinetmaker

Roadhouse, Cabinetmaker and Funeral Director

 

The old seal with five bees was used at least as late as 1924! Therefore the oak leaf motif was introduced quite late, as were the other four bees. 

12. What is that cairn behind the court house? 

Jane Porter Plaque.  The court house use to be the former site of the Industrial home.  This was a place where family members were sent if they were sick, elderly, had no money/family members etc.  Jane Porter donated $2,000 towards the erection of a wing, built in 1897.  A plaque in her honour may have been in the wing and was later placed on the cairn when the Industrial home closed.  Jane Porter died July 16, 1896.

13. When was Huron Street renamed Davis Drive? 

 In November 1946, as a token of respect to the Davis Family's various contributions to the Town.


Become a Town of Newmarket Volunteer

We are excited about this new opportunity to assist you the volunteer with registering for a number of opportunities within your community. This system will allow us to send out information to you electronically, more efficiently and in a timely manner.  This system will also assist you in tracking the number of hours, when you are scheduled and lists many other interesting features.

Please take the time to set up a profile of yourself, start by clicking on the area of interest below.  If you are interested in more than one area, please select one - set up your profile and then you can access other areas to register to volunteer.

We look forward to working with you the dedicated and enthusiastic volunteer. 

Start by clicking below and setting up your profile.  Then select the events you wish to volunteer for.

If you have any technical difficulties please email the following people for the following areas: 

NewRoads Performing Arts Centre | Old Town Hall: dthorburn@newmarket.ca 
Museum: museum@newmarket.ca

Hours of Operation and Contact Information

Tuesday to Saturday 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 to 4:00 p.m.

Contact Information

  • Address
    134 Main Street South, Newmarket, Ontario L3Y 3Y7
  • Telephone
    Phone: 905-953-5314 | Fax: 905-898-2083
  • Email
    museum@newmarket.ca

COVID-19 Update 

During the COVID-19 pandemic, there may be program disruptions, changes and facility closures. We continue to offer alternative ways to serve the community. Learn about Newmarket's approach to reopening and for current information and resources. For any inquiries, please email info@newmarket.ca.

NewButtons-COVID-19-Mar2020-05.png