��The Town of Newmarket implemented the stormwater charge in 2017. Before the implementation, stormwater was funded through your property taxes and water bill.
The stormwater charge represents a shift to 'user pay' where properties that produce more stormwater runoff (i.e. commercial and industrial properties) will pay more.
New for 2019 - Separate Stormwater Charge Invoice
In 2019, for the first time, the Town reflected this charge on a separate stormwater invoice to residents. This was done to accommodate a new property tax system and to be compliant with legislation that does not allow the stormwater charge to be directly added on the property tax bill.
The Town has heard from a number of residents who inquired about streamlining the payment process. The Town is looking at a better and more efficient way for residents to be billed. As an interim solution for 2019, Town of Newmarket residents can:
- Pay the stormwater invoice now.
- Residents can pay through online or telephone banking (payee: Newmarket Taxes), by mailing in a cheque, or in-person at various Town of Newmarket facilities.
- Wait for the stormwater charge to be added automatically to your property tax account.
- You will see the stormwater charge on the first installment of the final property tax bill (due on July 25, 2019) alongside your property tax amount. No late payment fees will be added until August 1, 2019.
- If you pay through a pre-authorized payment plan, the stormwater charge will be added to your regular withdrawal date. No late payments fees will be added.
What is my stormwater charge?
The stormwater charge is like opening a separate savings account for stormwater and setting aside funds. This will ensure there is enough money for future stormwater management improvements. Municipalities such as Mississauga, Richmond Hill, Kitchener and Vaughan have a separate charge for stormwater.
Please view the video below to learn more about the stormwater charge and how stormwater management will benefit the community and the environment.
Runoff Level Group Rates
Your Stormwater Charge is calculated by multiplying the size of your property by the runoff level group rate. To see how your runoff level group rates is assigned, please view the table below.
|Examples: natural areas, vacant properties, golf courses etc.||Examples: residential and institutional properties.||Examples: Commercial, industrial and mixed-use buildings. |
|$0.016698 per square metre|
$0.0015512 per square foot
|$0.081633 per square metre|
$0.0075839 per square foot
|$0.163325 per square metre|
$0.015173 per square foot
The following links help provide more information on stormwater management and the stormwater charge.