The Town of Newmarket offers the following tax rebate and deferral programs:
- Seniors, low income seniors and low income disabled persons property tax deferral program. For further information on this program, see the
general information sheet on tax deferrals for seniors and persons with disabilities, the Property tax deferral application and the Application for Tax Assistance to the Elderly.
- Property tax rebate for registered charities in leased or rented premises. To submit, simply complete the Application for Property Tax Rebate for Registered Charities in Eligible Premises and submit along with a completed Landlord Property Owner Declaration.
- Cancellation, Reduction, Refund of Taxes Under Section 357 of the Municipal Act, 2001, S.O. 2001, c. 25 . This includes rebates for properties that have been demolished, razed or damaged by fire, ongoing extensive renovations or are owned by persons experiencing extreme poverty. To review eligibility and to submit, complete the Application for the Adjustment of Taxes. An application under this section must be filed with the Treasurer on or before February 28 of the year following the year in respect of which the application is made.
- For more information about the requirements for each of the programs listed above, please visit the
York Region website.
Rebates for Heritage properties
The Town of Newmarket offers a tax rebate to heritage properties, subject to designation or registration of a heritage easement agreement. To apply, complete the
Heritage Tax rebate form and submit to the Planning Department. For more information on heritage properties visit our Heritage Conservation Planning page.
Rebates for Vacant properties
Following community engagement, all York Region municipalities have voted to eliminate this program starting with the 2018 tax year. Ontario Regulation 325/01 has been updated to reflect this change.
Rebates for Water and Wastewater
The program is available to any resident paying a Newmarket residential water/wastewater bill for that property and receiving any of the following government programs:
- Guaranteed Income Supplement
- Ontario Disability Support Program
- Ontario Works Assistance
The Water/Wastewater Rebate, for qualified applicants, is $354.00 per year. To apply for this rebate, fill in the Water and Wastewater Rebate Application form and provide proof annually to the Town of Newmarket, Property Tax department that you remain eligible for one of the above programs.
(Finance department staff will contact Newmarket Hydro to adjust your utility bill accordingly).