The Town of Newmarket's primary funding source is property tax which is divided between the Town of Newmarket, York Region and the school boards. Property taxes enable the Town to provide the high quality of municipal programs and services that Newmarket residents are accustomed to.
Property Tax Due Dates
The three instalments for interim property taxes will be due on:
- February 24, 2023
- March 24, 2023
- April 25, 2023
The three instalments for final property taxes will be due on:
- July 25, 2023
- August 25, 2023
- September 25, 2023
Learn about alternative ways you can pay your taxes. In-person, cashless (debit or cheque), payments of property taxes is currently available at the Municipal Offices at 395 Mulock Dr, Magna Centre and the Ray Twinney Recreation Complex during its hours of operation. Payments by cash should be made at your financial institution (allow 3-5 business days for payment processing).
Obtaining a Statement of Account
If you require a current Statement of Account for your property, you may request to receive one electronically via email or standard mail. A Statement of Account may be required by your financial institution if you are renewing a mortgage or refinancing. Please note that ordering a Statement of Account is subject to a $20.50 fee.
- To receive your statement via email, please fill out this request form.
- To receive your statement by mail, please call 905-895-5193 from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Obtaining a Property Tax Certificate
If you are moving, your lawyer will require a Tax Certificate. Your lawyer may fill out a Tax Certificate Request Form to obtain this document.
Supplementary/Omitted Tax Billings
Property Assessment Change Notices are issued for additional assessment (such as swimming pools, decks or other additions), new homes or property class changes. The property tax dollars associated with the changes are retroactive to the date of occupancy / purchase, or when the renovation or alterations were completed.
Please note the
Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) assesses your property for the additional assessment, a new home or a property class change which could take up to three years to occur.
The Town issues your supplementary/omitted tax bill(s) and payments are typically due in two installments. Depending on the determined assessment, the additional property taxes may be in the thousands of dollars. The Town may be able to assist in preparation for the imminent supplementary/omitted tax bill(s) to minimize the impact of this bill. Please contact the Customer Service Department for additional information and assistance.
Fees and Charges
- Tax Certificates = $85.31 each
- Returned Cheque = $50.75 each occurrence
- Statement of Taxes Paid = $20.50 each property
- Detailed Analysis of Tax Account = $45.68 per hour per property
- Update Mortgage Company Information = $15.23 per roll number
- New Ownership Maintenance Fee = $30.00 per account
- Detailed Calculations of Tax Adjustments for Third Parties = $30.45 per roll number
- Copies of Assessment View = $2.00 per copy
- New Account/Roll Number Fee = $40.00
- Tax Bill Reprint = $25.00
- Payment Recalled by Bank = $15.00
- Tax Receipt = $15.38
- Transfer Utilities to Tax Account = $5.00
- Title Search = $50.00
- Rush Tax Certificate = $102.50
- Post-Dated Cheque Retrieval or Date Change = $30.00
- Tax Appeal Application = $40.00
- Property Tax Administrative Fee - Additions to Tax Account for Collection = 16% of invoice + HST
- Online Banking Correction = $50.75 (after first correction)
- Schedule A - 2022 Tax Rates
- 2021 Stormwater Rates
- 2021 Schedule A - Schedule of Tax Rates for Taxable Property
Learn more about what contributes to property tax increases
Property tax bill breakdown
Region of York – 41 per cent, Town of Newmarket – 39 per cent, School boards – 20 per cent
The Town of Newmarket determines your property taxes by multiplying your current value assessment (determined by the MPAC) by the Town's tax rate, the Region of York's tax rate and the provincial education tax rate.
If you have questions about your property assessment please contact the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC).
Municipal Property Assessment Corporation
Call: 1-866-296-(MPAC) 6722
1-877-889-(MPAC) 6722 TTY
Write: P.O. Box 9808, Toronto, Ontario M1S 5T9
Visit: 100 Via Renzo Dr. Suite 302, Richmond Hill, Ontario L4S 0B8
Learn more about your property assessment at
About my Property.