Waste Collection Tips for Windy Days
Windy weather on collection day can be a challenge. High winds can knock over bins and send recyclables flying into roads, parks and neighbourhoods. To help prevent blue box items from becoming litter, here are some tips to help keep blue box collection during windy days as easy and efficient as possible:
- Place heavier recyclable items on top (i.e. glass bottles/jars) and lighter items (i.e. plastic containers) at the bottom of your blue box.
- When windy days are forecast the evening before collection, try to place blue box containers out on the morning of collection, before 7 a.m., instead of the night before.
- Please keep plastic bags, plastic wrap/film, Styrofoam (e.g. take-out containers) and take-out cups out of the blue box. These items do not belong in the blue box and should be placed in the garbage.
- Don't overfill your blue box to the point of overflow. Keep material below the rim to prevent the wind from catching it and blowing it out of the bin. Flatten smaller boxes such as cereal and tissue boxes to save space.
- There is no limit to the number of blue boxes that can be placed out for weekly curbside collection. To purchase additional blue boxes, please email [email protected] with your name, phone number, address and number of bins required. Our Customer Service Centre will be in touch with you regarding payment and delivery. Please do not send payment information through email. You can also call 905-953-5303 to place your order.
Residents can also drop-off blue box recyclables at select
York Region waste depots.
Please help keep our community clean and litter free!