Waste Collection Tips for Windy Days
Windy weather on collection day can be a challenge. High winds can knock over bins and send recyclables flying into roads, parks and neighbourhoods. To help prevent blue box items from becoming litter, here are some tips to help keep blue box collection during windy days as easy and efficient as possible:
- Place heavier recyclable items on top (i.e. glass bottles/jars) and lighter items (i.e. plastic containers) at the bottom of your blue box.
- When windy days are forecast the evening before collection, try to place blue box containers out on the morning of collection, before 7 a.m., instead of the night before.
- Please keep plastic bags, plastic wrap/film, Styrofoam (e.g. take-out containers) and take-out cups out of the blue box. These items do not belong in the blue box and should be placed in the garbage.
- Don't overfill your blue box to the point of overflow. Keep material below the rim to prevent the wind from catching it and blowing it out of the bin. Flatten smaller boxes such as cereal and tissue boxes to save space.
- There is no limit to the number of blue boxes that can be placed out for weekly curbside collection. Additional blue boxes can be purchased from the Municipal Offices, Magna Centre, Ray Twinney Recreation Complex, Newmarket Seniors' Meeting Place and the R.N. Shelton Operations Centre.
- Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, all Newmarket buildings and facilities remain closed. To purchase additional blue boxes, call 905-895-5193 to make a purchase over the phone and your blue box will be delivered by GFL within 5-10 business days to your home.
Residents can also drop-off blue box recyclables at select
York Region waste depots.
Please help keep our community clean and litter free!